A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS3 MovieClip in an array problem

AS3 MovieClip in an array problem

Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert []@229dff21 to flash.display.MovieClip.
    The above is the eror message I get.

var girl:MovieClip = new ShawlGirl() is an example of the variables I created for the elements in the array
    What I have is an array full of movie clips.
    var myImages:Array = new Array(boy,cat,dog,frog,girl,jumps,runs)
    There is a function that adds a number of these to the display list.My problem is sometimes it adds the elements and at other times I get the above error message.
    In trying to track the error down I added all the images one at a time and they all displayed without difficulty.Its only when adding multiple images that I get the error and that is not always consistant.
    Any help would be just great
    thanks
    Mango

From the error message, it appears you are at some point treating an array as a MovieClip.

You haven't given a lot to go on, but here are a few of my guesses as to what is happening:
    1. It may be that you try to access/remove an element in the array but don't do it properly. Instead of accessing/removing the element, you may be casting the array itself (or a slice of the array) as a MovieClip.
    2. Another possibility is that you are inserting an ARRAY into the array at certain times instead of inserting a MOVIECLIP into the array. If you were to do this, then you would receive the given error if you accessed the array element and treated it as a MovieClip.

There is not much more I can do than guess at what is going wrong, as you didn't provide much in terms of code.

- Byzoomi

Byzoomi
    Thanks for the replay.What I have is a multidimension array.
    element [0] is an Array of Strings
    element [1] is an Array of Sound files
    element[2] is an Array of MovieClips
    I have done this...var otherVal0:MovieClip = MovieClip(collectFive()[2][0])
    when attempting to cast the first element of the MovieClip Array
    (collectFive() is a function that returns the multi dimensional Array.)
    What happens is when I add more than 3 elements with addChild I get
    TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert []@292a2ee9 to flash.display.MovieClip.
    I now understand this means that I have not cast the object correctly .How do I cast array elements to Movie clip?

Like I said my previous post, your problem is you are trying to cast an Array into a MovieClip.

Are you sure collectFive()[2][0] is a MovieClip? If it was a MovieClip, the line of code you gave would work fine. My guess is that collectFive()[2][0] is an Array, not a MovieClip. Check the code where you insert into the array and make sure you are inserting a MovieClip, not an array of MovieClips or something similar.

- Byzoomi

Posting your code would really help.

I'm pretty sure the code you gave would work, but maybe you can try
    PHP Code:
    var multiarray:Array = collectFive ();
    var 
    something:MovieClip MovieClip (multiarray [2][0]); 
    You shouldn't even need to cast it into a MovieClip if it already is one.

Also are you sure all the elements in the [2] index of the multi-array are MovieClips? If they are all custom classes maybe you forgot to extend the MovieClip class in one of them.

I would like to thank both of you Members for your imput.The proplem has been properly diagnosed and has been resolved. It was about improper casting.
    Thanks again
    Mango