dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: adding objects to main timeline with code AS3

adding objects to main timeline with code AS3

Hi...i have a container movie clip that holds several movie clips inside...

I need to find out how i can add those same movie clips on the main timeline with code...

So i need to figure out how to take objects from the library and add them on stage (main timeline) using code...

Any ideas??

AKA [ Paul Bainbridge] webdreamer's Avatar
    Check out addChild() in the flash docs.
    It's fairly simple
    .: To me AS is like LEGO, Only for the big Kids :.
    - Site - Blog - Twitter - Linkedin
    bringmadeleinehome.com

Will moderate for beer
    To get an instance of something in your library, you need to associate that library symbol with a class. Then, you can get an instance with the new operator. Let's say you give some symbol a classname of Bob.
    Code:
    var b:Bob = new Bob();
    Now, you have an instance of a Bob, but it's not on the screen yet. To add it to a DisplayObjectContainer, use addChild
    Code:
    someContainer.addChild(b);
    Where someContainer could be root (after casting to MovieClip or DisplayObjectContainer) or any other appropriate container instance.

Thanks a lot guys..!!

Hi again..tried it but i must be doing something wrong! can you guys havea quick look?

see attachment

Thanks!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Will moderate for beer
    Nope. No Flash here to open fla files.

Post your code, and your error messages.

Scene 1, Layer 'Layer 1', Frame 1, Line 2 1120: Access of undefined property Container.

Scene 1, Layer 'Layer 1', Frame 1, Line 1 1180: Call to a possibly undefined method Class_Mc_1.

Scene 1, Layer 'Layer 1', Frame 1, Line 1 1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: Class_Mc_1.

What i did i created a movie clip named mc_1 and created a class for it named Class_mc_1 (right clicked it on the library and went to properties to do it)

the code on main timeline is this

var b:Class_Mc_1 = new Class_Mc_1 ();
    Container.addChild(b);

I think is the way i created the class...

Thanks again

Will moderate for beer
    From what I remember, you seem to have followed the steps to associate a class with a symbol properly. Did you get a message like "No class Class_Mc_1 found, one will be created"? You should have.

The latter two errors would be caused by flash not knowing what Class_Mc_1 is, which would be the case if somehow the class didn't get created.

The first error is because Container is undefined. Do you have an instance called Container?

Hi....it worked... you were right about the container instance..that was a stupid error....

The class was weird.... i tried different names and none of them worked...only until i removed the number from the class name..! Instead of Class_mc_1 i made it Class_mc I dont know why it doesnt like numbers...

Thanks for all you help buddy...