A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: to Boston it is.

to Boston it is.

So the plan is to move to the Boston area this coming summer.

Who here has lived there or in the area? Places you suggest to live or to avoid?
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 01-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Why Boston?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Better yet, why not NYC?
    mmm signature

boston>nyc

/bias
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

We were always set on NYC as the place we were going to go but in the end Boston won.

We have quite a few friends already living in the area so that's a big plus. The theater district isn't broadway but it's still just as good along with a lot of small companies as well. As far as jobs I still have 0 idea what I would want as a "career" so I'm open to move down there and try out different kinds of jobs. My #1 thing is to find a pro studio and get some sort of internship on the side.

Our friends parents live in Jamaica Plains and I've talk to a few people from Boston at tradeshows etc and they all say that area is very nice. So that is our main area of interest until we hear or read otherwise.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Keith Peters, (@bit101) lives out there. You might tweet him and ask about living areas and the job industry.

I live 25miles north of boston and do not have a lot of info about the city. Here is what I know. Stay away from dorchester, roxbury. Jamaica plain is not that nice either. I typed in jamaica plain in google the word shooting was filled in by google. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...09f9a75fc5a4aa

Boston is a small city that has everything that you will need just in a small scale. There are big design/develop companies such as Digitas, Hill Holiday, Arnold World Wide, Modernista, Mullen.

During the summer the city is dead because there are a lot of schools that bring up the population big time during winter and spring.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it all in mind. Definitely want to live somewhere I don't have to be afraid to walk out my front porch.

Been browsing around and Allston seems like a legit place and has some very nice reasonable apartments. All of them seem to be for NOW NOW NOW though so I think we'll have to look more seriously closer to the date. But I'll be making some calls just in case...

Pretty excited to get out of this area start something fresh. Seems that all my creative motivation has been drained and it just the same old crap here in a cycle. Need some fresh eyes.

I went to Boston once. Had some ice cream. It was nice.

All I can say is that I hope that you have 7 months or more of expenditures saved up for such a leap of faith.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Still trying to work on our budget so we know what apartment range to look in but with my work bonus, tax return, and my security deposit I'll be getting from this place I could live for about 6 month off that. Hope to get off our feet before we need to really kill off any money we have saved though.

that must of been a hell of a bonus
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

it's profit sharing...so yeah it pretty decent.