A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: cracked glass effect

cracked glass effect

Hi I am trying to replicate the glass cracking animation similar to the one as seen here:

link

The approach I took in doing this was to have the phone on one layer, the bitmap of the crack on the second layer and the mask would be the third layer. On the third layer i used the paint brush tool and painted over the crack piece by piece using the insert keyframe approach.

It animates kind of what im after but the mask makes it evident that i used a paint brush tool. Doesnt look smooth and fluid as the example above.

Any ideas on what to do please?

This is a pretty easy thing to do if you have the eye for it. What you'd need to do is break the 'broken glass' into 3 or 4 different layers (maybe more if you need to) and animate each layer separately. The key to it looking somewhat real is the simultaneous cracking of different areas.

If you watch the movie closely you can see the layers that you would need to construct to make this work. I think you are on the right idea, but you might want to use shapes to animate the masks and you can manipulate the points and handles however you would need to.

Sorry for not being too specific but I believe you have the general idea already, just split up your cracked layer so you can animate multiple cracks at once.

****TIP****
    If you want to get a realistic animation I'd recommend doing some case study work on youtube or something with cracked glass as your target.