A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Basic Math with input fields to output conversion

Basic Math with input fields to output conversion

Hello all,
    I am a newb at AS3 or any AS for that matter. I have designed 3 very nice flash sites but never did much with input fields and simple math before.

I have looked around the forum and read a few topics but to be honest, I could be reading the topic title to answer my question but not knowing the term I'm even looking for doesn't help my search.

All I want to do is this:

Create an input field where the user enters a value.
    Flash then takes that value and then simply multiplies it by 0.868976242.

The reason for this particular value is that this is just for my Flight sim/aviation enthusiast forum and have some tools I made on a page and just want to add a mph to knot converter (1 mph = 0.868976242 knots).

I would prefer the answer to be constant as it's being entered without the need of a button but not totally important but either way I have been looking under various terms and simply cannot find the beginning to where to start. I have a membership (paid) at a couple great Flash sites and although I watched about 20hrs of videos this week on everything from input text to Dynamic text I still have yet to see them using or showing anything to do with simple math and output. Even a recommendation to another resource would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    ~Dan

I think you should not expect particular video to solve your specific problem, but rather to empower you to solve it yourself.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Are you serious?

So you don't know a real answer is what you're saying. Thanks for nothing.

No, actually being very new to AS3 videos have taught me more in the last week then I learned in school. I can care less if it's videos or getting a correct answer rather than your so called wisdom. If I knew how I wouldn't have posted it oh bright one.

Hey Dan,

I registered just to share this link to a three page article where I found a discussion of math calculations using flash which I think might help you:

http://articles.sitepoint.com/articl...ations-flash/3

That link is to the 3rd page where the article discusses how to incorporate user input. You may want to start at the beginning.

I found your post while I was looking for ways to do it without a button click, so I hope you get a response from someone more knowledgeable.

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine777 View Post
    So you don't know a real answer is what you're saying.
    Right, that's way over my head indeed.

I can care less if it's videos or getting a correct answer rather than your so called wisdom.
    And that's exactly why you fail, rejecting the wisdom and just trying to get a correct answer instead of learning. Until you reconsider your ways, you'll never get off the ground.

Thanks Erin,
    I really appreciate you going out of your way like that. Sorry for the really late reply but long story short, I just found this page again and had registered at a few in a short amount of time and forgot about it.
    Still no luck but haven't had time to mess with it again recently. If I figure it out I'll be sure to post it.
    Thanks again!
    ~Dan

@ UnrealMack

This is a forum and meant for questions oh wise one. I have three forums and on my primary I told some people about how idiotic some advice can be and of course you saying what you do to someone posting a question in the correct spot got quite a few laughs (at you not with).

Do you go around sharing your almighty smarts to every poster?
    "I think you should not expect particular video to solve your specific problem, but rather to empower you to solve it yourself"
    That was copied and pasted since the last day I was here and that thread is now 7 pages long and none of which think you made any point other than to show you have no life or concept of much.

That has to be the stupidest thing one could say to someone posting a question in a forum. Forums are so after people have tried for days to get something working they can inquire the words of real wisdom from the ones that know. So learn to educate yourself on what forums are for before trying to make your next remarkable insight. If your life is that miserable then please, just kill yourself. I promise I won't mind one bit.
    Last edited by Turbine777; 03-11-2011 at 03:39 AM.

ha ha, I was right all along the way:
    Still no luck but haven't had time to mess with it again recently. If I figure it out I'll be sure to post it.
    you still fail, and you refuse to recognise the reason why.

You seriously are a retarded chump.

To fail is to give up and like what you quoted above states "I have not had time to mess with it again recently".

Like all my learning in Flash I find a project that then needs to do things I do not yet know how to do. I then learn how like anyone. Once someone tries to find methods of doing something that is not discussed in the help and not in ANY forum they venture out in hopes someone can point them in the right direction. I have not asked for someone to tell me the dam code to make it work, I have asked to be pointed in the right direction.

The only thing to "recognize" is you know absolutely nothing about that process. When someone says they have tried every way they can think of, reading, videos, trial and error etc... and then have your idiot self say "Solve it yourself" is the furthest possible possible answer anyone could ever give, especially being that this is a forum and meant for questions so it builds "A knowledge base" which is what a forum is. It's not for idiot remarks from the peanut gallery like yourself, you should be try youtube where your mentality is shared by other 7 year olds.

Two people now found this forum with the same question and I'm sure there have been and will be more like us, ones trying to educate ourselves on what we cannot find the answers to otherwise but most won't reply and surely most won't be joining after seeing a troll like yourself is standing by to give such pathetic responses. You taint this forum and need to go learn what a forum is. If you were to post anything remotely close to your stupidity on any of my forums you would be banned for life within seconds by one of my mods or myself. Truly pathetic and off based responses from a truly pathetic individual.

Now where you fail is that like other pathetic people found in so many unmonitored forums is you base your response on the persons post count and not their question. People like you look at that value and feel some mis guided importance and above others for some strange reason. I have looked at your other past posts and it is clear, you should be banned because you offer no value of quality at all in any of your posts and shows nothing but a little boy angry at the world trying to put some meaning to your existence.

Here's a lesson for you. Quality > Quanity. There you go, I hope I taught you something today that is the secret to everything.

Now, go google "Forum" and find out what people use them for then edit most of your posts and try to do what your mom should have taught you "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". I'm done trying to help fire your brain cells into thinking the way everyone else does. You will get no more of my time.

@Erin, if you're still out there, I will post the solution soon as I find time to go back to that project.
    Last edited by Turbine777; 03-11-2011 at 04:34 PM.

there was probably a lot effort involved in typing these lengthy responses, but you will have to forgive me for not reading them thoroughly. and I really think you should apply all that energy to learn a thing or two rather than posting rebuttals here