A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AS2 - Seeking troubleshooting help for website! Urgent!

Question AS2 - Please help!!! Why doesn't my scrolling text show up? Urgent!

(MX-04)

Hi,

I'm (very hopefully) in the midst of being done with a portfolio website I reluctantly took on for a friend and would really appreciate some troubleshooting.

More pointedly, I am a bit baffled on some issues that are creeping up when I test it:

The basic format is: portfolio, bio, contact, links, cv

1) I have a preloader, but I am unsure of its efficacy.
    2) The CV,(custom made scroller) I have does not seem to come up when I select it; only the up/down buttons appear. I can't really see where/what the problem is.

mediafire file w/ mx04 version of the .fla
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pcyjf5cpfbyec1s

I have a feeling that this is something really simple that my lack of flash experience is missing altogether.
    Many thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to help out with this!!! I really need to solve this ASAP.
    Last edited by fantome; 02-26-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Exclamation help!!!

*(I tried deleting the images in the .fla to upload it here, but could only get the size of the file to 348kb...so I'm stuck w/ mediafire)

**(later edit....managed to upload separate .fla of the CV if, for some reason, I did not properly insert it into my main .fla for the whole project)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fantome; 02-17-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Exclamation

Anyone? Please???

Exclamation

sorry to bump, but I really need some help with this!

sorry..just read the PM.. must have missed it.

lets go voer things slowly..and in depth..

1 error/bug/requirement at a time.

I work in AS2 and have CS3..

please .ZIP everthing.. and post a link..that is NOT some freebie public sharing place..where I have to wait to download your .zip

Thanks

I appreciate your reply!

Don't know why I didn't think to .zip the file!
    (I still had to remove many of the images to make everything fit into the .zip file)

Thanks again!

the .fla is mx04
    Last edited by fantome; 02-21-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: specifying flash version

So, was anyone able to unzip the .fla and have a look?
    The suspense is killing me
    Last edited by fantome; 02-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Is there some secret handhsake I need to learn?

I kid...
    .....but seriously. I really need someone to lend a kind hand with this ASAP.

Exclamation

this is becoming the equivalent of launching distress signals

...S.O.S.
    ...smoke signals
    ...setting a fire
    ...mirror in the sunlight.

again, humbly asking for some help with this!
    surely, this is an easy fix for someone that's adept with flash?

I have your .fla open..

what it is you want to do now?

first thing is first..

you can NOT define a variable in frame 1...

move away from that frame.. then try to read/use the data in frame 1 (that is no longer present.. as you have moved away from that frame)

myself I never put a preloader INSIDE the same piece of content I am trying to load/pre-load..

I make my MAIN .swf that has mt loader code in it.. then I load my external.swf's into container clips..and use the preloader coded to 'watch' those containers.

Thanks, whispers, for replying. Sincerely appreciated!

All I want to do is

make sure the preloader is working properly, and if not, get it to do so

...and...

figure out why my scrolling text CV wont show up, (only the up/dwn nav buttons are visible) and apply it correctly.

I have to admit some ignorance concerning the bulk of your reply.
    I'm mostly green when it comes to flash hierarchy, specifically, there "wheres" and "hows" of "putting it all together". I followed tutorials for the separate elements: gallery, preloader and scroller, but basically took a stab in the dark in assembling them into one.

I've searched everywhere for tutorials that would help me to this end, but came up empty.

Okay, after going crazy with this most of the day/night, I somehow got the CV to show up when I test it. Of course, I don't know that this means it will work when I put this up on the server. This main .fla I zipped feels like a mess.

In short, I attempted to paste the separate CV here, "FLASHKIT_CV.fla" over the CV seen in the main timeline, due to slightly better scrolling capabilities...and by some odd occurrence, it's working, albeit, with the line-by-line nav of the original CV...if that makes any sense.

You'll see from the separate CV .fla that the actual text is contained within the first actions frame, "scrollableText =". Additionally, this CV contains a movie clip off to the side with actions to allow for smooth scrolling, (instead of the line-by-line nav in the main .fla) The up/dwn buttons have actions applied to them as well.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!
    Thanks again.

I have you tried to break this up? meaning break out your CONTENT..from your main .swf?

and maybe call or load these external 'sections' like CV..etc.etc when the button is clicked by calling/loading that.swf into a target/containerClip?

I just woke up..and I hear the kids are doing the same.. I'll have to re-read your post..and check out the files again later..

which file/link am I supposed to look at now?

Heh, I don't blame you for needing to re-read it. I was loopy just from writing it!

-The file, FLASHKIT_CV.fla is just the working scrollable CV by itself.
    This file also contains a hidden movie clip, ("layer 7") that contains actions for smooth scrolling. The up/dwn buttons also have actions applied to it.

The other main file, FINAL_PL_CV_nopics.fla is the entire portfolio website file also containing:
    --the presumably wonky preloader
    --the original scrolling CV ALONG with the pasted
    FLASHKIT_CV.fla**
    **in the CONTENT layer (9th layer) of the FINAL_PL_CV_nopics.fla, I attempted to paste the FLASHKIT_CV into FRAME 4 where the CV is located.
    When I did so, it distributed everything into the bottom 5 layers as is seen,
    (actions, Layer 33, scrollable Text, buttons, text background)

Again, I'm still a bit too green with flash with regard to the hierarchy,
    and while I understand the basics of what you mean by "...calling/loading that.swf into a target/containerClip" I don't know how/where to execute this in my file.

Thank you again.
    You're the only moderator I've seen here that is consistently and continually willing to help people here, and you should know that it's massively appreciated.

Hi..just got back form cub scouts with my kid (some fancy dinner thing)

Let me see if I cant work up a new base layout from you to work with..

and teach a little on the way.

I think once you move away from frames..

and learn a more nested approach.. alot of your problems will go away.

I have been swamped with work and darth real life... but nobody is abandoning you! =)

Yes, yes...work/real life.

This project has been an annoyance. It was bartered two years ago, and since then, I've essentially been waiting for my friend to pick a registrar/host so I could get it online and be done with it-- Well, in waiting...and waiting........and waiting, I obviously put it on the backburner, and now that a registrar/host has FINALLY been settled, I have to get something online before heading out of town in a few days. ughhhhhhhh

question:

why is the logo 'off-stage'? and why are the buttons 'off-stage as well??

seems the stage is only 600x400 but these elements are not shown?

I mean I see them in the .fla and when I test through IDE>. but they are not placed on the stage to be seen?

Errors on my part. Noted, though...I didn't realize everything needed to be 'on stage', proper.

umm..ok..let me try and whip something up for you.. see if you find this approach a little 'better'..