A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Going out for a shoot - any tips?

Going out for a shoot - any tips?

Hey all, I'm going to a wetlands bay to shoot birds, eagles etc... I was going to rent a super telephoto lens (400MM 2.8) as well for my buddies Cannon 7D.

I've never used a lens this large and was wondering if anyone had tips they could kindly offer. The conditions should be amazing.. snowy/ice backgrnd and clear blue skys in the upper 40's.

What settings should I be most concerned about, also wondering how the video might work on lens that large.

These are the lens I am looking at renting
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Nikonist
    The use of a tripod is a must at this focal length...check the white balance...snow and ice like to reflect the blue of the sky...the lens you have chosen seems to be top notch but even though I would prefer f5.6 to 11 to avoid irritations...no clue about video...
    Enjoy your trip and do show some results
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    don't forget to pick up a 2x Tue extender, might as well double the size of your canon

400mm on a crop body with a 2x extender is effectively over 1200mm - that's serious magnification - you'd need a very sturdy tripod for that or least be using a fast shutter speed.

http://gradax.com/Eagle/index.html

Well here are a few of the pics. I really needed the 2x extender. We had a good tripod but could have spent more time making sure the settings were correct. I was suprised to see so many people taking pictures out there, most folks had at least 1500MM or larger lens. Pretty amazing.

On the first pic, click on the image name to open it full screen, I stitched several photos just to catpure all the birds, 40 in the one picture!

The images are smaller in size this time to save time downloading.
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads