A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CCleaner help

CCleaner help

Hi, I am creating a flash project using a projector and swf levels. These are using sharedObjects (flash cookies). I notice that when you use a disk cleaner software, notably CCleaner, it removes these sharedObjects. I don't want users of my project to accidentally erase the SO's with CC, as all their data will obviously be deleted. Is there a way to prevent your sharedObject files from being deleted with ccleaner? (besides unchecking 'flash' within ccleaner, or having to instruct users on how to be careful?) I have noticed that some Facebook apps actually didn't delete the game data when I used CC, which leads me to believe that some SO data is stored elsewhere. Thanks!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Facebook apps probably store their data online, using Facebook APIs, not on the local computer otherwise you'd lose all your game data if you signed in using another computer.

Flash shared objects are store in the Application Data folder, which is under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data so they are not in a temporary location. Any "cleaner" app that removes another applications data from the Application Data folder is broken.

If you're doing this online you can't control where the SO is created (well you can, but you can't change it very much) so you should store your data online where it's safe.

If you're doing this offline, in a projector, then you'll probably have to spring for a third party SWF2EXE tool to let you control where your data gets saved or wanr your users not to run "cleaner" tools or they risk losing their data.
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio