A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you get unstuck with programming problems.

How do you get unstuck with programming problems.

Say you're more of a designer than a programmer. How do you solved problems with programming issues in say, ActionScript or PHP if you are doing the job solo and have no expert programmers to help you get out?
    How long does it usually take to resolve these programming issues?
    Last edited by An Artist; 02-24-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Flashkit, google, etc.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

As long as it takes to create a thread in the freelance forum?

This question has no definitive answer if you're set on doing it yourself.

Talk it out with smarter people than myself...

Which leaves.. a lot.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

It depends.

Without specifics, the question can't be answered further than that.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I run into problems at jobs.... It takes forever to fix a programming problem. Is this the norm? I sure is frustrating when a boss does not know how difficult it is making programming language work.

Right now I am trying to get a flash contact form to work with ActionScript 2 and PHP. It's very frustrating.

It sounds more like programmer error than programming error. The actual interaction between client / server should be very simple. The hardest thing should be having a proper email address validation, but there are a ton of regular expressions out there to handle that.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's to stick to what you know. I can do a bit of artwork if needed, but I'm a programmer 100%. I wish I could create great artwork, but there's a reason why I can't. Artists have as much interest and put as much effort into what they do as I do with my programming.
    Last edited by Genesis F5; 02-24-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by An Artist View Post
    Right now I am trying to get a flash contact form to work with ActionScript 2 and PHP. It's very frustrating.
    There's got to be 8 bajillion threads like this in the help forums. A quick search would yield hundreds if not thousands of results. In the time it took to wait for responses to this thread, you could have had a V8...

...and solved your problem.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5 View Post
    I

If there's one thing I've learned, it's to stick to what you know. I can do a bit of artwork if needed, but I'm a programmer 100%. I wish I could create great artwork, but there's a reason why I can't. Artists have as much interest and put as much effort into what they do as I do with my programming.

Well said! I still would like to get more programming under my belt because employer (most anyway), expect me to know it. But what you wrote about artists putting as much effort into their work than you as a programmer is much appreciated. Many people don't realize that. Thank you!

Learn to break the problem down and debug...

AS 2.0 -> php contact form

Step 1. Is the SendAndLoad working?
    Replace the php script with static text
    Code:
    &test=yay!
    Test and debug the SendAndLoad until you are able to trace the value of test.
    If you are able to trace the value of test from the SendAndLoad proceed to step 2.

Step 2. Is the php script working?
    Turn on error reporting and make sure you are writing errors to the screen
    PHP Code:
    ini_set ('display_errors''true');
    error_reporting(E_ALL); 
    Point your browser to the PHP script and see if there are any errors. http://localhost/phpmailscript.php
    Set up the mail script so you can test it without using flash:
    Create a simple HTML form or send the variables to the form using a get querystring such as http://localhost/phpmailscript.php?e...nts=testing123
    See if you can get the mail script to send the email and return &test=yay!
    If you have trouble start echoing out variables to see where the problem is.

Once you have step 2 completed connect the 2 scripts and put error reporting back to default.

If it's such a big problem, why don't you just tell your boss you're not a programmer? Maybe he should hire a programmer to help you deal with the programming parts, maybe a one time free-lance programmer?
    My boss understand this, and never makes anyone do the job he's not familiar with. That's a big plus of him, I think.

But anyway, there's also a lot of tutorials on how to make forms and other stuff like that out there, just google it out.
    At least you can always ask for help here