A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Player 11 Incubator Released! (Molehill)

Flash Player 11 Incubator Released! (Molehill)

This news just got me SO excited, and I wet several pairs of pants.

Adobe has unleashed an early build of Flash Player 11 with the Molehill API!
    Check it out here:
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...mes/incubator/

After installing the player, check out the zombie tycoon game!
    http://molehill.zombietycoon.com/
    In terms of performance and what we've all come to expect from the Flash Player...IMPRESSIVE.

And after doing all that, head over and get the latest Hero SDK build to start experimenting with all of this! Finally real shaders available to us...
    http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/dis...load+Flex+Hero

Enjoy people! I know I'm gonna start getting busy with this for the next few weeks to come!

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Thanks for the links mate, cant wait to have a play around with it all.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

PS: tested it with an older pc of my and the graphics card wasn't supported and it had to run in software render mode and it ran horrible.

I've been running with a mediocre laptop for the past few months as my main dev machine which can't even run Doom3 without any lag (the game's is just about unplayable), so I was happy that the zombie demo ran fine for me (I have one of those dynamic gpu things that borrows RAM instead of having it's own).
    I was hoping their "ultra fast software renderer" would hold up better than "horrible" (what fps were you hitting?)
    WIP-ZOMBIES

Hmm I can't see an fps counter. If I was to guess though its no higher then 5 The rest of my dev machine is a beast besides the old ass graphics card. I tested it on my other machines and it ran sweet.

By any chance can you get incubator for Google Chrome. I've just been testing it in Firefox. I downloaded the for all other browsers package but doesn't seem to have updated my chrome flash player.

From what I read, they don't have it working on Chrome yet, so I think it's an issue they're aware of.

Even if the demo ran slowly for you, I'm excited for Molehill simply because of all the 2D functionality it will give me, and pixel shader effects (Hopefully it will give me a WAY faster way to do my 2D lighting in my zombie game (on my machine, just the lighting eats about ~3/4ms per frame) ).
    Speaking of which, have you heard of any 2D graphics engines coming out using Molehill? Somewhere sometime I heard that "there are some", but haven't found any. If so, I might try cooking up a library asap. (Plus, I haven't been able to compile anything for the new API so far, FD only supports params up to FP 10... :/

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    Speaking of which, have you heard of any 2D graphics engines coming out using Molehill? Somewhere sometime I heard that "there are some", but haven't found any.
    Want!

I found these links to be interesting, if you haven't found them already.
    http://lab.polygonal.de/2011/02/27/s...ehill-example/
    http://www.bytearray.org/?p=2555

That'll give me something to do next weekend (who releases stuff on a sunday? Geez)

I've seen and studied the bytearray link, but I'm not sure about the Polygonal one, great find!
    I glad that someone is already getting so far with Molehill, because...well, being used to Actionscript 3.0, shaders is a whole new world for me, and setting all that stuff up...

I'm definitely sinking my teeth into this this weekend too. This news distracted/is distracting me from my homework...
    WIP-ZOMBIES