A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How come: select text and hit F1 not going directly to specific help page anymore?

Unhappy How come: select text and hit F1 not going directly to specific help page anymore?

Hi. Up until a while ago I was able to, while working on some code, select a particular actionscript component such as a Class, function or property and hit the F1 key which would immediately bring up Adobe Help in my internet browser already showing the page relevant to my selection. For example, if I had selected the word "MovieClip" in my code and hit F1, the Adobe Help page describing the MovieClip class would come up, without me having to navigate to it.
    Now (for some weeks actually), it no longer does that. When I hit F1, Adobe Help comes up in my browser, but opens at a general menu page regardless of what text I select, which in fact makes selecting text before hitting F1 redundant anyways.
    Does anyone know anything about this?

It was so much more convenient before! Now I have to search for what I'm looking for every time. I'm learning on my own, so I find myself going to the Help pages quite often. At the end of the day, it sums up to be a lot of typing and searching and pages to navigate through. Also, it seems that navigating through the Adobe Help pages is kind of slow which just makes it even more of a drag.

I'd appreciate any information on this, or possibly some help in how to get things back to how they were.

Thanks!

Use FlashDevelop if you wanna learn faster.

As to your question, it works just like before, I've just checked it.

thanks caseyryan.
    for me, when working within Flash CS4, selecting text and hitting F1 doesn't bring up the relevant help page, but rather a general help page from which you must search for what you're looking for.
    i have now downloaded FlashDevelop. i'll try it. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyryan View Post
    Use FlashDevelop if you wanna learn faster.

As to your question, it works just like before, I've just checked it.
    Hi. I've downloaded and installed FlashDevelop. It seems like a great code editor, but I'm not sure in what way it can help me learn about actionscript 3. Can you give me a few examples of what you meant? Thanks!

that's odd..i use Adobe Help, and whenever I hit f1, it goes straight to what I'm lookin for.

Hmm... so it looks as though it's only something that is happening to me. What's really weird is that it used to work fine for me until a couple of months ago. And I can't figure out what could have happened to change that.

nevermind, frank. i didnt know you were using CS4.

I've tried in CS4, and didn't work as well.

Apparently, Adobe is now only offering this 'service' only to CS5..