A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [WIP] Multiplayer ninja game

[WIP] Multiplayer ninja game

http://littlemofo.soap.com.au/work/gamedev/blocks/

arrow keys to move.

Its got wall jumping and double jumps

The game will hopefully turn out to be a co-op race game where you have to help each other get to a certain point on a mountain trying to beat your opponents.

Right now I'm using the trial version of smartfox to handle room creation / user stuff, so a maximum of 100 people can play. Right now there's a limit to 4 people per room so your PC doesn't die if 100 people are playing. This is using the Adobe Cirrus RTMFP stuff to handle real time data between clients. Its not optimized in any way right now, I just send data and receive data, no interpolation, prediction or extrapolation is being used.

Things to come:

ninja rope
    wall jumping off other players (co-op wall jumping)
    sword fighting
    ninja stars
    cliff edges

there's bound to be a million gazillion bugs but please let me know any you find

I would also love to know how laggy it felt. Have fun!

*Chat box down below, chat messages up top
    *Wall jumping is easier if you keep holding the up key and alternate between left/right when you're on the walls
    Last edited by mr_malee; 03-24-2011 at 09:22 AM.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Sweet man. I was going to mention it took me a little bit to get used to the wall jumping but once you work it out, becomes easy. Ran great.

Can't wait for the ninja stars.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

looks good. the controls seemed a bit sluggish. like there was a couple frames delay.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I found myself holding towards the wall when jumping onto it, preventing me from jumping off of it. Consider having any press of jump while on the wall letting you jump off of it. (Still haven't managed to play with anyone else in the room, ha)

Also, yeah. Just speed it the hell up. Having the players run around fast might be a problem, but I think it'd be more fun off the bat.

Nice project. The frame rate is a but low on my macbook core duo (25 fps). The hero moves are also very enjoyable. Wall jumping and hanging is cool.

I'm glad to see some of he old friends here .
    Last edited by Sietjp; 04-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Cool stuff man. Nobody else was playing so I can't say anything about server lag, but the framerate was great, rarely changing from 59.88. The only gameplay bug I noticed was that I couldn't seem to slide/jump on the furthest right wall unless I first wall jumped off the wall to the left.

A couple things about the chat: messages popping up cover the area you're typing in which is no good. Also, if you type something, hit enter, and just resume playing you'll still be typing in the chat box until you click the screen. Enter should ideally cause the chat box to toggle between focused or not.

Looks promising, classic Shinobi style.

Runs at 60fps and uses around 25% of my Dual Core.

How easy was it to integrate Smartfox by the way? I'm looking for a multiplayer API for my first game and Smartfox looks promising. Does it have any effect on performance?

I'm only using smartfox for the management side of things, but its still very snappy. They've fixed a lot of bugs from the 1x version and made the API much more OOP.

Don't really have much of an update yet, been on some other work, hopefully soon I'll have a proper level with some proper game play and graphics.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    I would love to have this game and change it around you think i can?:P