A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is it possible to make an MMORPG in Flash?

Is it possible to make an MMORPG in Flash?

I was wondering. Is it possible? Yes, I am extremely AS2 literate and I know how to make very decent games with it, and I have done so in the past.

I want to know if it's possible to somehow hook a Flash game up to a server and have every player able to save their own games and what-not.

If you don't know, is it possible to let someone save a game in Flash? I know it's possible, but how do I do it?

Anyways, thanks.

I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

You could use this code:

Actionscript Code:
    my_var = SharedObject.getLocal("save_file");

and after that, you can save all the values you want to be returned after closing and reopening. For example if the current score is 150, you would add a SAVE Button and this code to it:

Actionscript Code:
    on(press){
        my_var.data.score = _root.score_text;
    }

Though, you should remember inserting SharedObject.getLoca("save_file_name"): to the Actions of your first frame! Oh, and, REMEBER THAT IT'S SharedObject and NOT SharedObjects (I made that mistake just now :P)

The above code will save the current score value, each time the Save Button is pressed. So if your current score is 150, and then you press the Save Button, the my_var.data.score value will store the value 150. If your score is changd to 200 after your last Save, and then you press the Save Button again, the value 200 will be replaced with 150.

Simply, to recall the score value with a Load Button, make a button and paste this code to it:

Actionscript Code:
    on(press){
        _root.score_text = my_var.data.score;
    }

It's the same, just opposite, but there's a huge difference between those two codes. Good Luck with your game, and if you need more help, don't hesitate to ask

Thanks

Thank you.

THE YELLOW FLASH!
    But the problem is that,if the client user uses CCleaner or any other temporary file cleaner,then .sol will go with them!!...You can make flash send data to xml which in turn send to your database.And retrieve it the same way.
    The CodeBreaker!

Quote Originally Posted by billiondegreedr View Post
    But the problem is that,if the client user uses CCleaner or any other temporary file cleaner,then .sol will go with them!!...You can make flash send data to xml which in turn send to your database.And retrieve it the same way.
    But if he does that, then every person who will play that game after the first one saves, will be brought to the same save point :S

And btw, if he'd still send the data to his server, wouldn't he have to create a NEW save game for every new person? What if 1 million people play that game. His database would overflow with .sol files xD
    And also, he'd have to make a script to check if an existing .sol file with the same name, didn't already exist. Pretty troublesome, if you ask me -.-*

But good idea, nonetheless
    but can XML do that alone? Doesn't PHP get involved there?

THE YELLOW FLASH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nig 13 View Post
    But if he does that, then every person who will play that game after the first one saves, will be brought to the same save point :S

And btw, if he'd still send the data to his server, wouldn't he have to create a NEW save game for every new person? What if 1 million people play that game. His database would overflow with .sol files xD
    And also, he'd have to make a script to check if an existing .sol file with the same name, didn't already exist. Pretty troublesome, if you ask me -.-*

But good idea, nonetheless
    but can XML do that alone? Doesn't PHP get involved there?
    No...like if u use XML to send to a MySQL database,there is no need of .sol file.I am not talking abt .sol.I am talking abt XML file sending values of required variables to a MySQL database ...sending .sol files will be troublesome
    The CodeBreaker!

Quote Originally Posted by billiondegreedr View Post
    No...like if u use XML to send to a MySQL database,there is no need of .sol file.I am not talking abt .sol.I am talking abt XML file sending values of required variables to a MySQL database ...sending .sol files will be troublesome
    Oh. Sounds great. Haven't heard of it before. Have you ever tried it, btw?

Alright, I didn't try any of that yet, but I'm still a bit confused... where exactly is it saving to? And can I have it always saving automatically? Like get rid of the "on(press)" code and just have "my_var.data.score = _root.score_text;" on the frame at all times so it's always saved like a real MMORPG? And "my_var" stands for any variable I put in, right?

I love you.

No homo.

Quote Originally Posted by WigglesInc View Post
    I love you.
    no problem