dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PNG Pixilation on Resize (Flash CS5)

Question PNG Pixilation on Resize (Flash CS5)

Program: Adobe Flash CS5 Professional
    Type: Website
    Link: www.rossallman.co.uk

Problem:
    I have created a website (link given in above) to the specifications of my Macbook Pro 17inch which has a screen resolution of 1920x1200. I created a website to fit my browser and screen, but here is where my problem is.

Because my design has been designed for 1920x1003 to fit my browser my website does not fit other screen sizes. I've changed the code to:

Code:
    width="100%" height="100%
    Code:
    <param name="scale" value="exactfit" />
    This is so it fits into any browser. Because my design is made 95% out of PNG (Saved as PNG-24) imported from Photoshop, when the browser resizes the design, all the PNG pixilate.

Question:
    Is there any way i can stop the PNG's from pixilating when decreased in smaller browsers?

Id really appreciate any help, as i really need this to work, if this is impossible to fix please say!

Thanks again,

Ross

PNGs are not vector images so they will show up pixilated when you zoom in or out of the image. From what I understand, it is not possible to convert PNGs, JPEG, etc, to vector art and if it is possible, it is not easy.

flash grasshopper
    Just as a general piece of advice, unless the website is a personal one for just you to use, you probably want to avoid making it to fit the specs of just your own screen. From what I see around the web, most people are still designing to a minimum of 1024 x 768 resolutio.

With regards to your Flash, your best bet is to recreate your solid graphics (pretty much anything that isn't a photo) in Flash. These graphics are vector and therefore 100% scalable with no problems. They are also very lightweight compared to bitmaps, which is something you will need to consider - I'm sure you're planning on having a preloader, but even so your site probably takes a bit too long to load, as the user is having to wait for all 14.6 MB to load before they can do anything at all.

You might want to consider making to separate swfs for your website - one that is just the background photos, that sits in the background, and is scalable to the size of the window, while the other would have all of your content and would be of fixed size, sitting in the middle of the window. This would work for your use of PNGs, but you would still have to resize them all to make the site a size that fits 1024 x 768, and you'd still be asking the user to wait a long time while it loads.

Whichever way you go about it, it will be pretty time consuming, but I would strongly recommend taking the time to go the vector graphics route, as you'll get a much better website out of it.

If you have the time/energy for it, you may also want to look into having a main swf that loads each of your "pages" as external swfs, as this would also make for a better site.

Good luck with it!