A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Are you Morphing

Are you Morphing

Some years ago there was a trend for photo-morphing" - animations where one face would turn into another, or you could morph a human face into a tiger's etc.

Now I see the term morphing being used more for what I would call tweening.

I do still see the effect very occasionally in video - faces growing older for example.

Is anyone still using this technique for anything worthwhile and can you do it in Flash?

So if we were giving away software to do this no-one would be interested?

Whoa -- there's a big jump between those two questions! Like any trick, morphing has impact only when it has a meaningful context. Find a good reason to use an effect, and you've got an audience which is moved for some reason. If you're interested in giving it away, you could sponsor a competition to show how it could be used like this. Or you could just give it away, step back and see what happens.

People might be interested -- but I wouldn't base that decision on one posting at Flashkit.

actionscript.org and kirupa will give you a broader audience.

Is your solution actionscript based or is it preprocessing to create a sequence of morphing images? If the former people could well be interested, if the latter then that greatly limits its usability. Still it's a niche field.

Not seen anyone referring to tweening as morphing though, closest would be the useless shape tween which is in effect a morph, but really anyone calling tweening morphing needs a kicking

Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by goliard View Post
    Like any trick, morphing has impact only when it has a meaningful context. Find a good reason to use an effect, and you've got an audience which is moved for some reason. If you're interested in giving it away, you could sponsor a competition to show how it could be used like this. Or you could just give it away, step back and see what happens.

People might be interested -- but I wouldn't base that decision on one posting at Flashkit.
    Agreed. I'm just trying to judge the marketing value of a particular feature. The software in question does have other effects and functions but most are available from other programs and probably wouldn't have much perceived value.

I've never found a good reason to use morphing so producing a showcase piece to promote it might be more work than it was worth.

A competition might be a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.Shelley View Post
    Is your solution actionscript based or is it preprocessing to create a sequence of morphing images? If the former people could well be interested, if the latter then that greatly limits its usability. Still it's a niche field.
    As I thought - its a fixed utility not actionscript so probably not that useful.

Not seen anyone referring to tweening as morphing though, closest would be the useless shape tween which is in effect a morph, but really anyone calling tweening morphing needs a kicking
    Coming from a traditional background I'd have to agree but I noticed a competitor was using it to describe shape tweening and thought I'd got out of step

Incidentally I don't think shape tweening is useless I just think when it's used properly no-one notices that it is shape tweening.

Paul

Further research suggests it's primarily still just for morphing faces - young to old, an unusual way to display a slideshow of faces etc. But looking at our software again it has other effects I've not seen elsewhere so we're bundling it free with the main products and we'll see how it goes.

[Edit] Details on our website if anyone is interested. (Link removed to avoid accusations of spam - you'll have to rummage around for it). [Edit]

Paul
    Last edited by toonRaider; 07-13-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Removal of Link

..."our software"? So, this is just spam, after all? Should've known, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by goliard View Post
    ..."our software"? So, this is just spam, after all? Should've known, I suppose.
    Actually no! I'm trying to gauge how much value and therefore whether it should just be free, whether we should invest in another version or whether we should just drop it.

I haven't seen flash morphing in other software so that was a potential USP if it was useful to people. I don't see the other features as being worth a great deal but again I might be wrong.

No-one is obliged to give me any feedback (obviously) and if the consensus is that this of no interest then I'm happy to go elsewhere with it. If not I'll post our decision in due course as to whether the software will be given away free.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

Paul

nice topic