A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bones Tutorial

Bones Tutorial

Can anyone point me at a good idiot's tutorial to using bones in KM? Looks like a nice feature but I'm struggling to get to grips with it and the discipline of following a tutorial is probably going to help

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    There is a bones section in the help. I don't know of any other tutorial.

Bones in KoolMoves never matured into a truly useful tool. To implement bones well requires a great deal of effort. My partner has an ongoing interest in cartooning but user interest has been light. There used to be a tool called Moho. I would check it out.

Thanks Bob, Moho is now Anime Studio it appears and looks to be just what I need if its as easy as the promo video makes it look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hartzell View Post
    Bones in KoolMoves never matured into a truly useful tool. To implement bones well requires a great deal of effort. My partner has an ongoing interest in cartooning but user interest has been light.
    Moho/AnimeStudio is an awesome tool but so is KoolMoves. I hope that one day the bone tool gets updated. I believe it's lack of interest is due to its lack of functioning properly. I think that and audio scrubbing (for lipsync) would bring in a new audience. Along with flash game developers being able to create kool animations for their games instead of importing raster graphics which do not scale too pretty.

If you build it, they will come. (sorry, couldn't resist)

To be fair, what KoolMoves is trying to do is not easy.

There are some great animation packages around but for bone animation you often have to be more of an engineer than an artist.

I may give Anime Studio a go as its relatively cheap.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by toonRaider View Post
    To be fair, what KoolMoves is trying to do is not easy.

There are some great animation packages around but for bone animation you often have to be more of an engineer than an artist.

I may give Anime Studio a go as its relatively cheap.

Paul
    Nah, it's not that hard. But first it takes knowing how bones work. The top of a bone is the center of rotation (unless the bone was drawn upside down or whatever). Control points bound to a bone rotate around that center when a bone is moved. Now since most animation programs tween between key frames, you can not just have the control points move from a to b key frames. Else it would not flow properly. They have to move along a curve which is the distance from the bones center point in a radius.

Anyway, I hope to see it in KM someday.

Super Moderator
    Glad to see you posting again FlashPulse. I hear what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hartzell View Post
    Glad to see you posting again FlashPulse. I hear what you are saying.
    Thanks Bob!

I just played with the bones in KM 7.5.1. For the most part, the bones work like they should except for two things.

1.) Child bones do not rotate with the parent bone that is moving. They should also rotate around the parent bones center point.

2.) There's no way to adjust or set the control points to the bone yourself.

Other then that Bob, you almost have bones working like they should. I will fiddle with these a little bit today.