A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Google +

Google +

anyone hoarding some invites? I'd like to see what this is all about.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I wouldn't.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Just saw it this morning in my webmaster tools. Havent tried it out yet.
    They are coming out something similar to Facebook too, anyone tried that out too?
    Probably the best web hosting Company in Singapore
    Make A Name On The Web™

Um, Google+ IS their something similar to Facebook.
    It may be another flop but I'll take HR's invite if anyone has any. Huddle may be just the thing to assist in working remotely.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    count me in for an Invitation please

If you need an invite, hit me DM or IM.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Google invites are closed. if you get them on Google they will only have temporary access for as long as the sessions last.

Got this from Webnewspro.

Google has plenty of obstacles to overcome if this is going to be a huge success. Here are some of them.

1. Most people don't want to leave Facebook.
    2. People are already gravitating more toward Twitter.
    3. Google's previous attempts at social
    Google doesn't have the best track record or reputation when it comes to social. Some of this is simply perception, because YouTube is social and it's obviously a huge success, but it was acquired by Google - not created by Google, and one could argue that it's not the social aspect of YouTube that is its main driving force, but the simple fact that it has tons and tons of stuff to watch.
    4. Google's reputation for privacy
    When Google launched Google Buzz, it was a huge privacy fiasco, and one that is still in the news. Google greatly damaged its reputation in the area of privacy with this. It's not hard to find commentary throughout the web indicating growing distrust of the company in general, whether justified or not. Reputation can go a long way.
    5. People largely still think about Google as search
    One of Google's biggest challenges is its existing success. Google has become synonymous with search. Google is a verb, that means to search for something on Google. People don't think to go to Google to share things necessarily. They think to go to Google to search.
    6. The Like Button
    Speaking of Facebook being friends, that "like" button that is everywhere on the Internet, has been quite powerful, and is the premier way that people share content now, I believe. Google has the +1 Button. Not so much. At this point (disregarding the Buzz button for a moment, which doesn't have much to do with Google+ at the moment), publishers are asking people to either "like" this and share with your friends, or "+1" this so that other people that you may or may not know may be able to find it in search results for some query that may or may not be searched for. Which one is going to get clicked more?
    7. The Retweet button
    See numbers 2 and 6.
    8. Bing
    Back to number 5 for a moment. Google is synonymous with search, but it is still the key ingredient to keeping people using Google+. Meanwhile, Bing is just going to continue to gain market share. The more people using Bing as their default search engine, means the less people using Google, which will likely mean less using Google+.

Realistically, Bing currently doesn't come close to Google in market share at this point. Whether it ever will remains to be seen, but so far it's been growing fairly steadily, and now Google faces FTC scrutiny over its competitive practices. When Microsoft was in a similar situation, it greatly set the company back in innovation for years, many people say. Depending on the outcome of that, it's hard to say what Google's future will hold.

9. Yahoo

Yahoo still makes up another significant segment of search market share, and maybe even more importantly, It still has a very strong presence in other key areas like email,finance, news, etc.

Part of the Google+ strategy is that it extends across Google products. Some of these products compete directly with some of Yahoo's strong points. Let's not forget that Yahoo is also in the connected TV space, where Google is still trying to gain more significant market share.

10. Complexity

The sheer complexity of Google+ may also work against it, particularly when you pair it with number one. You're trying to get people to use your service instead of Facebook's, while trying to sell an overly-complicated concept.

In the end, it might not really be as complex as it seems, but again, perception goes a long way. If it even seems complicated at a glance, and all of your friends are already doing just fine on Facebook, how big is the incentive?
    Probably the best web hosting Company in Singapore
    Make A Name On The Web™

Not sure if you added your own commentary in places but that article is an extremely weak support of its assertion.
    1. is contradicted by #2. If you'd asked me if I wanted to leave Facebook, I'd ask "and go to what?". Google+ by virtue of being new makes me want to try.

2. Not in my experience. Most of my real life facebook friends don't understand twitter.

3. Buzz worked fine, but it didn't bring anything new or attempt to fix any short-comings of twitter. There was no need to buzz. If google+ provides a better social experience, it will work.

4. Retreading an old story. Google will never make that mistake again, it's foolish to assume they haven't taken great care this time.

5. Wrong. Google maps and gmail are the most used service of their kind. Chrome and Android are gaining ground at lighting speed.

6. Everyone from Huffington to Engadget are going to have a +1 button not to mention 1000 inevitable wordpress plugins. The +1 will also be in millions of places the Like button wont, search results. It's silly to thing Google doesn't plan on connecting your +1's to your wall/dashboard.

7. See number 2 and 6

8. Just too ignorant of a statement to argue with.

9. Yahoo is just as meaningless to Google as it is to Facebook. Who cares?

10. Facebook is extremely bad UX. Getting from one major section to the other is not intuitive. Browser back buttons does not take you to where you just were. There's a chasm between your profile, your wall, your galleries, your inbox and your chat. I doubt most users get the most of what FB has to offer but they use it anyway. All Google+ has to do is add at least one more dimension to the surface and we could see an exodus.

can someone explain what google + is? I saw someones i guess profile and it just looked like a twitter clone.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

i'd like to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    can someone explain what google + is?
    http://www.google.com/+/demo/
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    5. Wrong. Google maps and gmail are the most used service of their kind. Chrome and Android are gaining ground at lighting speed.
    This is the key point, imo.

Social networking that is seamlessly integrated into the OS of next generation devices should be a significant draw.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    yes, i've been through all that, it did nothing to make me go out of my way to want to try it. Past over hyped google ****(HGS) has left a sour taste in my mouth. This has the same sort of wave feeling where the idea is solid, but it just doesn't work well, and eventually they remove it.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    yes, i've been through all that, it did nothing to make me go out of my way to want to try it. Past over hyped google ****(HGS) has left a sour taste in my mouth. This has the same sort of wave feeling where the idea is solid, but it just doesn't work well, and eventually they remove it.
    However, if you bought an Android based device and could enter your Facebook login and it would do all of the same things plus additional features throughout the device UI, you might not notice the jump so much.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    been trying it since yesterday, so far looks like a slimmer lighter version of Google's main page after you log in with a bit of Youtube/googletalk thrown in

I quite like it, it’s the third decent thing Google have done after Google Search and Gmail.

Here’s my profile: https://plus.google.com/112374006967787323477 Add me to your circles, *****es!

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It merges facebook and twitter, fixes a lot of junk and adds a few nice features. Really don't have anything bad to say about it.
    Here's me. http://joelstransky.com/+