A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: don't worry about it...select the focus later

don't worry about it...select the focus later

Not sure if any one you have seen this but I signed up to "reserve" a camera a month or so ago and just got a newsletter in my email.

I'm still on the fence what this will do to photography. I mean who would even have to think anymore. If you could get this technology to the level of quality of a medium format camera and have it be priced where entry level dlsr cameras are right now it would almost make pro's obsolete. I know there will still be a need for people with an "eye" to get a certain level of quality out of certain type of photography but...a HUGE portion of what we would call pro level photography could be wiped out. Who needs a pro on the side lines if someone with a camera like that just spraying away at the action and then later select the focus and have that level of quality. Because let's face it- the first dlsr I had(the 20D) compared to what people have in their hands now is crazy. Imagine what could be in peoples hands in even 10 years from now...

http://www.lytro.com/

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I saw this as a bit of a gimmick. Being able to select the focus afterwards still requires a correctly exposed and composed photo.

IMO - Even with the best equipment in the world, it still takes years of practice to master any art - and that's what separates the pros from the rest of the rabble..

I'm still learning...
    Didn't read how the technology works.
    What about ISO, shutter speed and apreture? That camera doesn't need those settings?

It's fun looking at the pictures, and selecting the focus
    But the bokeh of the images are not that nice.

Just think though. This is first generation gear. Almost a proof of concept at this point. Wait until like the 10th generation. 60+ MP select focus later shots at 20 fps?

Hell by then we will all just have camera's even beyond what the RED bodies do. All we would have to do is shoot video and then in post select the perfect frame and then select focus.

The future is a bummer....
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    The future is a bummer....
    i think you may be acting a little over dramatic about it. If anything this new camera is like spell check. It gives you the option of the right word, but you still need to select it. there will still be tons of crappy "photographers" taking crappy pictures.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I kind of see it as a bit of a gimmick as well. At first I was amazed by the demos on their website, but tying the viewing of the image to the flash player seems like it will limit the uses this camera can be put to. Maybe there was 6 billion images shared on facebook, but I wonder how such images would print and what the point would be other than for online use.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    I'm waiting patiently for the Video version of it, Pr0n will be VERY interesting that way

I'm still learning...
    ah, I can start a pr0n site and shoot photos with that, start a membership subscription...

hello el-ig!

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Hey Nogol, let's do that be millionaires before the fade is over

How's it going man?

I wanted one of these but the image size is a little small and the applet is flash so useless on iOS devices, will wait for the next gen version but I have heard there is a company in Germany which has a similar product for stills and video but we are talking serious cash as it is for commercial use.

There was a rumor going around the Lytro and Apple were having meetings. That technology jammed into an iphone is exactly what apple needs to push something cutting edge on their next update. Software updates aren't doing it all anymore...

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers View Post
    I wanted one of these but the image size is a little small and the applet is flash so useless on iOS devices, will wait for the next gen version but I have heard there is a company in Germany which has a similar product for stills and video but we are talking serious cash as it is for commercial use.
    http://www.raytrix.de/index.php/r29-273.html

couple of thousand Euro p. P:~~
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Interesting that one, i have been trying to find a link to the other one I saw a few months back but can not find it, it was a article on Flipboard and the back looked more like a Hasselblad.

Would be great to have a near field camera on a iPhone, iPhone 5 launches in August so fingers crossed.