A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug

Super Moderator
    I think I know what the problem is. I think that all the crashes involve deletion of one or more objects with an AS1 motion script. I will attempt a fix tomorrow.

Super Moderator
    Contact me for a fix -- support at koolmoves dot com

just tried version 8.2

bugs still present, nothing fixed.

the test file is a small representation of my much larger project, which is weeks and weeks of work - but because of the bugs I can't finish the project. I can't export - it crashes.

I have no workarounds either, other than doing my whole project from the beginning, because my 8.1 fun file is not backward compatible with 8.01 (the non-buggy version)

THIS IS SUCH A TIME WASTER!!!

what am I to do?

Super Moderator
    Send me a small test file -- support at koolmoves dot com

it is the same test file you already downloaded and tested and commented on above....

here it is again, just follow the steps in text file to replicate crash

https://rapidshare.com/files/3999221...t_for_bugs.zip

you will see with 8.2, these crashs still occur. infuriating! can't export!

ooops realised no text file in zip with instructions, but I had them listed in post above months ago.

here they are again in a text file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

UPDATE:

points 2, 3 , 4, 5 mentioned in the text file crash koolmoves from 8.0 up to 8.2.

This is because it was created in 8.1.3

however point 1 works without error in 8.1 - but in 8.2 is broken.

for me point 1 is the most important bug to fix because I can just hide all the problem objects (instead of deleting) - then the export works.

but point 1 is a bug that 100% renders my project useless.

my main project has been saved in 8.1.3 and it is not backwards with 8.1 so I am screwed. have to start everything again

please fix point 1

I have attached pics to make point 1 clearer

in pic 1, this is what the menu looks like when you press the 'reel' button in koolmoves 8.1

in pic 2, this is what it looks like in koolmoves 8.2. it gets the buttons mixed up.

this applies for all the menu buttons.

please fix!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Can you provide a small test case so I can track down the problem(s)? The example you gave me before is gigantic.

I already reduced the size significantly, until I ran into problems deleting objects, (which lead to other crashes mentioned) - so I couldn't reduce size further. most of the size in the zip is just a flv file......the actual .fun file is only 105 kb

this software has caused me a great deal of stress and wasted time because it is broken. please find time to fix this, otherwise it will be my duty to advise others to steer clear

the thing is, the actual error in point 1 is not actionscript.

it is just a square I created with one of the koolmoves tools that covers the menu button for that page - to give the appearance the button is pressed for that page. each page is just a different scene, so the square just moves in each scene.

as simple as that...

it works in 8.1, but is broken in 8.2

so what is wrong with your software? I went to alot of trouble to put together that test file, and you still didnt fix it. are you too lazy? even after 10 years of development ; you still don"t put alot of effort into fixing bugs? you only prefer to add new features and ignore bugs?

I am baffled why you think that test file is gigantic, I think maybe you could not be bothered?

Super Moderator
    There is no need to be nasty. If you look at the history of program changes, you will see a very concerted effort to fix bugs. Each new release should fix all outstanding bugs.

I honestly thought I fixed the crashing bug and I did partially fix it. I didn't repeat the exact instructions.

I suspect an easy work around is to make the deletions and then save the file. If you open export settings with the saved file, I suspect the crashing will not occur.

I do intend to fix the problem.

I was unclear about problem #1 so it was never addressed. I still am unclear about it because there is so much happening in the animation. What may have changed in the last few versions that may be affecting this is how morphing is handled between scenes. The last few versions handle morphing between scenes correctly.
    Last edited by Bob Hartzell; 12-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.

excuse my annoyed tone, but I thought you didn't do anything.

I am very frustrated because I just want to move FORWARD, and not backwards by starting the whole project again, I have already spent months of work on it (not weeks)

I will see if I can make the test project even smaller, or do a video of my screen showing u exactly what I mean

in meantime, try this:

load the test file in 8.1

skip through the intro video etc, and just click on a left-hand menu button (the menu in the pictures I put in the above post)

then click on another menu button (to go to another page) - notice how the menu button gets greyed out each menu page?

Now try load it in 8.2.

it doesn't work, even though it is exactly the same .fun file

OK NEW UPDATE!

my apologies for points 2, 3, 4, 5 using 8.2 - it seems to be WORKING now after I tried your resave tip but also closing and opening again in this order:

1. delete problem object/s
    2. save fun file
    3. NOT try to export
    4. close program
    5. open again
    6. export...

WORKS!!

so my apologies for my harsh tone previously.

however point 1 still does not work in 8.2

I will simplify the test file for you

cheers

Super Moderator
    I am working on your problems and only your problems.

I have fixed points 2, 3, 4 to avoid the work around.

With regard to point 5, I have removed all the animation except scene Reel. There seems to be a problem when I delete frame base (as seen in debugger) which I haven't figured out yet.

I haven't looked at point 1 yet but I will do that now because it seems to be the problem that is bothering you most and because point 5 looks difficult.

A redo of the project is unthinkable and I will do what I can to make the file work.

Super Moderator
    I compiled the original file and posted it in a temp location.
    http://www.koolmoves.com/temp/forum_..._BUGS-8_2.html

I click on reel menu item and I see a reasonable response. You are going to need to explain what the correct behavior is supposed to be.

I tried your link - still has same error - tried it on IE and on Chrome and Firefox, then a different laptop.

Maybe my explanation was not very concise.

here is an explanation:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    I understand now. I will probably delete everything from the movie that appears not to be relevant to get a much smaller movie where the problem still occurs.

Super Moderator
    If you compare the displays when viewed from the above link (on-line) and when viewed by double-clicking on the local html file (view off-line), there are major differences:
    1. Text after the top buttets has a drop shadow (on-line) versus is printed on top of each other (off-line).
    2. The skip button is missing (off-line).
    3. No buttons display as disabled (off-line) versus Services button displays as disabled (on-line).
    4. About page is very different on-line versus off-line.

I don't remember ever seeing an animation behaving differently (at least so differently) on-line versus off-line.

Can you confirm this?

speak of the devil!!

only just confirmed this today...I started banging my head against a wall when I realised - so I feel some comfort knowing you are on top of it

what I have noticed:

USING the original test file:

offline version does not work, errors like you mentioned

HOWEVER the in-built koolmoves "native internet explorer" works which is weird because trying to run it with internet explorer from an offline state alone does not work. neither in chrome.

online does work

v8.2
    exact same behaviour regarding offline scenario.

online and "native internet explorer" works except for the bugs previously mentioned (point 1)

I guess I was mostly using the "native internet explorer" setting when creating the project and then just uploading to test website - so I did not notice this offline behaviour until today!!!