A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this the end of Flash?

Wow. That's pretty sweet. I hope it runs as smoothly as it looks.

It scales according to the hardware so smoothness is maintained, only quality is dropped. They are still limited by flashplayer's access so somethings like mouselock wont work.

Come on. We don't need that flashy nonsense. Besides, that could be easily built in HTML5.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

My boss was an early adopter of html5 and has already cranked out an FWA site, a canvas framework, sat in on a panel discussing its future and landed several high profile contracts and even HE is starting to reel from the pain of working in it.

even Grant Skinner, author of easl.js (a very as3 style canvas api) is generally unhappy with it. One day, great tools may shield us against most of the hell (looking at haxe and FDT) but until then, I've got eyes on other professions.

In four years something will cave and flash will be on top again. The flash killer is too busy eating it's own developers. With Jobs out of apple the shareholders may be less interested in world domination at any cost.

Or maybe not
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...t_inquiry.html

That's over a year old. Publishing for iPhone out of flash is in full swing and the #1 game in the app store is flash based. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/machi...ign-mpt=uo%3D2

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    My boss was an early adopter of html5 and has already cranked out an FWA site, a canvas framework, sat in on a panel discussing its future and landed several high profile contracts and even HE is starting to reel from the pain of working in it.

even Grant Skinner, author of easl.js (a very as3 style canvas api) is generally unhappy with it. One day, great tools may shield us against most of the hell (looking at haxe and FDT) but until then, I've got eyes on other professions.
    Glad that I skipped that experiment. Might have saved myself a year of life expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    In four years something will cave and flash will be on top again.
    I'm not sure if it was ever on "top". But, I agree that it will return to the same level of use that it peaked at.

These will be remembered as the internet's lost years.
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 09-19-2011 at 05:18 AM.

You nailed what I've been feeling recently FL. I've worked long and hard to get where I am all the while thinking if I just covered enough different hurdles enough times to where they became familiar, I might be able to add "easy" to descriptions of my work. I don't shy away from hard work but it has to lead to either enjoyable or lucrative work. I write markup and its supporting languages well and its never really been either of those.
    I will devote my time to finding the closest equivalent to writing as3 applications but as soon as I finish my degree, I'm going into game dev full steam.

I don't blame you. Though, I hear that game dev is also tough business because so many people want to do it. Kids out of college will do C work for game companies for next to nothing.

It's just frustrating to see non-developer forces dictating what the development platforms of the future look like. You know how anti-union I am. But, developers need a stronger voice at a higher level in the food chain, imo.

Game dev is likely even more challenging, but I think there would be a joy proponent for me that wouldn't feel so needless.
    A voice is not likely, it would just be another w3c. What we use will get noticed and supported and eventually things will be orderly, I'm just not willing to take years off of my life getting there. Maybe I just need a break to recharge.

Nice video about molehill btw.
    http://www.vimeo.com/28435440

Hah! The guy wanted to be a mole farmer? I'm trying to exterminate moles from my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey View Post
    I'm trying to exterminate moles from my yard.
    Let me know if you find the secret. Those things are relentless...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    Phones look like other phones tablets look like other tablets. I guess samsung could have designed something that looked like hello kitty but I don't think consumers would appriciate the form factor.
    Looks like Samsung has seen the error of their ways. Still waiting to see the details of the settlement but apparently the deal causes Samsung some 'pain' and gives Apple some 'relief.' I'd guess they'll pay Apple some sort of flat fee per Galaxy sold in Australia.

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/ass...D-75EC73CE2270
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Let me know if you find the secret. Those things are relentless...
    Will do. But, it sounds like I should check with you to rule out what doesn't work, before trying it.