A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pixelwave is released: AS3-inspired iOS Game Framework

Pixelwave is released: AS3-inspired iOS Game Framework

Hey All,

It's been a while since I first introduced Pixelwave, and I'm happy to say it's come a long way since. Only a couple of weeks ago we officially left the private beta phase and released it publicly!. During the private beta it has already seen a couple of games released to the app store (with a couple more in development), and there's even a class being taught using the framework. Not too shabby for a private beta, but I'm excited to see where it'll go now that it's public .

For you visual folks, here's the little graphic I made for it:

The premise of Pixelwave is that it's written in Objective-C, but is completely inspired by the AS3 API. It's open source, under the very permissive zlib license (same one used by Box2D).

So if you're interested in doing native iOS development, but love the AS3 API too much, this framework is for you. It's designed to be very clean, but is also very optimized for iOS. The core engine of Pixelwave is written in C, while the user-facing classes and methods are all in Objective-C, with names imitating those of the AS3 API. We wrote a little about the design principles behind the framework here. There's also the encompassing manual.

We spent a good amount of time (in a dark basement) writing articles for the documentation center, so getting started is supposed to be very simple.

I hope you like it, and would love to hear your feedback.

Oz
    Last edited by ozmic66; 08-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Hey ozmic66, wow been waiting for this for ages! Nice to see it's finally ready for use. I'll check it out.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

I don't do iOS dev, but I've been wanting to get into it. And THIS might seem like it make things very easy!

I'll definitely check it out, looks very cool!
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

@.hooligan That's really nice to hear I've been waiting to make this announcement for a long time. We really tried to make a polished framework and it's those little things that take forever

@pazil Thanks, I hope you find it helpful.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune