A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tween Engines.... They needed?

Game Developer

Cool Tween Engines.... They needed?

Hey all,

In the past, I have always animated objects using an Enter Frame event (ie. slide it 5 pixels to the right every frame).

I am seeing many companies I work at using the TweenLite tweening engine to animate objects.

Is there some special magic these tweening engines do that makes them better?

If I wanted to side a ball across the screen over a time span of 100 frames, would using an Enter Frame be any different than using the tween engine? Or would they have the exact same result?

Thanks

P.S. I am aware that tweening engines have other special things (easing, etc). This is assuming we don't need those.

All libraries add file size so one should consider that before using them. TweenLite/Max have a pretty good plug in architecture so you save on the size for features you don't need. A tween is really just (destination - start) * time so for simple things you can probably skip em. If you're doing a lot of animation and need things to change speed over time you can either implement easing equations yourself or just use an engine.

Keep in mind TweenLite has a license and may or may not be right for your project. eaze has a different license.