dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what does it take ?

to become a famous Designer ?

lots of willing client, to follow your crazy concepts?
    location - where you are in the world ?

or is it just pure talent - the ability to create for the public - to show the ppl what they want -

I say the famous designers - sell their souls !!!!

there is no ART in their work , just comertialisd images - clichés upon clichés -

maybe I'm right

- maybe IM just jealous. ....

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    To become a well known designer you must have lots of high profile clients. As a designer you can only give your best - and try to advise your clients. You can't become upset if your client wants the site the way he likes it.

You can't judge a person by the sites he does for other businesses. I always take a look at their personal sites to look for talent.

it also depends on outside, often uncontrollable factors.

Designers, historically, have lived in either New York, Los Angeles, Boston, San Fransico, and other places (those are just in the U.S. I don't know about other countries).

Time:
    If you have a full time job with an employer, you don't have time to work on your own site, perfecting your skills. I am sure that Eric Jordan or Hillman Curtis didn't make their site in a weekend, or in free time at work.

What I'm saying is that Its not how good you are as a designer, your designs could beat Hillman Curtis hands down, and still not be known -

Its all about where you are in the world. who your clients are - after all its the clients that show your work to the world!

what I'm trying to say is - How do I get out of this country ???

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Snowman as a South African all I can say is that to get anywhere you can't rely on your graphic skills to rake in the money. The fact is that the big money is in doing databases and stuff like that. That is the way to get big clients.

The more big clients you have more respect you get from the clients and the more likely they are to actually listen to you.

It definately takes high profile clients to make money and get up there, but if your good you'll get passed around thanks to linkdup.com, designiskinky.net, k10k.net... they go all out for designers as long as your worth showing..

there are alot of amazing designers that havent cracked high school or college that I've seen, know, and im impressed by.. they havent had clients just skills and good contacts..

inside info

Desert Snowman,

I used to be in partnership with a large recruitment/consulting company in London. We were looking into the idea of taking new media to S.A, and when i left, plans were in progress to explode the market in your country. If i were you i would stay where you are, you never know what's gonna happen. Remember the saying...

"It's better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big pond"

Catch my drift???

Ettan