Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

RIP Steve Jobs

Last edited by david petley; 10-05-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added link
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Do you think they will allow flash on apple devices now?

Sad news. I knew he was sick. But, didn't realize it was that bad.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

same here, I was expecting it to happen six to 12 months from now.

=(

Heard about it at work. Crazy. He must have known it was coming soon so he got Apple all settled before he left.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    He must have known it was coming soon so he got Apple all settled before he left.
    ...pancreatic cancer is often very aggressive and can spread to other areas of the body rapidly, but yes, I would say he would have had some idea of how soon it might be when he resigned.

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

It's a shame he never spoke out about his cancer issues, or tried to arrange any fund raisers or awareness.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I wonder if Apple will slip back to the days when Steve was not on-board. I know the company has momentum, but without him at the helm, who knows.

It will take a while. And maybe not slip back that far. But, I believe they will slip. Their current position is largely the product of a few home runs. Home runs in electronics are an unlikely basis for sustained success.
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 10-11-2011 at 02:58 AM.

I completely disagree. iPod/iPhone and iPad ownership continues to grow and among those consumers NOT on this board, they're thrilled with the entire Apple product eco-system. People (especially in this country) are ecstatic to pay a premium for their products. The bench of leadership and management is very deep at Apple. Jonny Ive has been the home run hitter on Jobs' bench for a long while. Right now, he's gone from the #3 man to the #2+ man at Apple. He's going nowhere and his design asthetics will continue to be at the forefront of all product manufacturers. People like design...and they like Apple. I don't see any slowdown anytime soon.

They can't produce iPads fast enough for the global demand. Until Amazon's offering proves itself, it's stil just vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

New iPhone gets introduced...blogosphere calls bullsh*t...people pre-order it in record numbers. China expansion is blowing up.

The Nano has become their version of the candy at the checkout counter. People are spending a few grand in new products and just 'throw in' a Nano or iPod touch just to complete their order. Master marketers. Malls across this country are empty with the exception of Apple and stores like The Buckle. This demographic is unstoppable.

I am no fanboy, but calling an end to the continued success of this company is like trying to catch a falling knife.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 10-11-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I'm not saying that they won't continue to be a successful company. Just that they won't continue the same level of success that they've had in the last 10 years. And I don't think that losing Jobs has much to do with it.

However fast Apple is selling ipods, etc., growth of sales for competitive products is increasing at a faster rate. For every Apple product that is given away as a promotion, there are folds more of less expensive alternatives given away for the same reason.

This happens all the time in technology. A company makes a breakthrough with some technology and everyone else has to catch up. Eventually, they do. Nobody remembers who made the first "good tv", the first "good radio", etc. They look at prices, consumer reviews, etc. and pick from each years line-up of models competing with each other.

(Also, the antipathy toward Apple, even beyond this site, is to my observation higher than it has ever been. The lawsuits, prices, app policies, upgrade issues, closed platform, etc. have taken a PR toll.)
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 10-13-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey View Post
    I'm not saying that they won't continue to be a successful company. Just that they won't continue the same level of success that they've had in the last 10 years. And I don't think that losing Jobs has much to do with it.
    Well, this is an opinion and I'll leave it at that.

However fast Apple is selling ipods, etc., growth of sales for competitive products is increasing at a faster rate. For every Apple product that is given away as a promotion, there are folds more of less expensive alternatives given away for the same reason.
    These stats are very confusing to quantify. Android is an OS that is used in dozens of different devices. iPhone is a product. Comparing the two is not necessarily fair. That being said, I agree with you...as an OS, Android is growing faster. My "opinion" however, is that they are not taking share from iOS products...they are growing the market share from users of non-smartphones. I'd like to see stats that show defections of iOS users to Android and vice-versa. That would be a good storypoint, regardless of the result.

This happens all the time in technology. A company makes a breakthrough with some technology and everyone else has to catch up. Eventually, they do. Nobody remembers who made the first "good tv", the first "good radio", etc. They look at prices, consumer reviews, etc. and pick from each years line-up of models competing with each other.
    In some cases, I agree with you, but names like Sony are still associated with 'high grade' televisions. People still ask for a Kleenex. Corn Flakes are still pretty popular. I've included non tech products since Apple has now re-branded themselves from a purely tech company into the worlds BEST retailer. Period. It's not just a tech story anymore.

(Also, the antipathy toward Apple, even beyond this site, is to my observation higher than it has ever been. The lawsuits, prices, app policies, upgrade issues, closed platform, etc. have taken a PR toll.)
    Again, opinion here. I, personally, have not seen this antipathy you speak of. I could be wrong, but I've not seen it. Perhaps this antipathy is existent in the record setting pre-sales of the new iPhone 4S after days of blogosphere bashing of the product. </sarcasm> In this case, the consumer is disproving the pundits collective disappointment in this latest release.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 10-14-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Well, this is an opinion and I'll leave it at that.
    True. Sorry if I didn't frame it as such. This is my reading of the tea leaves.

These stats are very confusing to quantify. Android is an OS that is used in dozens of different devices. iPhone is a product. Comparing the two is not necessarily fair. That being said, I agree with you...as an OS, Android is growing faster. My "opinion" however, is that they are not taking share from iOS products...they are growing the market share from users of non-smartphones. I'd like to see stats that show defections of iOS users to Android and vice-versa. That would be a good storypoint, regardless of the result.
    True that OS is not the same as product. However, I think that OS prevalence matters quite a bit for the success of Apple. It affects what people invest app building money into, support for third party devices, etc. If making an Android app reaches more people than an iOS app does, it makes more sense to invest in the Android version.

This is also an opinion. But, I think that over time, as phone plans expire, more people will switch from iOS to Android over cost point and comparable features on Android. Even if they didn't, the key term is "share". If the cut of the market that is Android is greater than iOS, it again makes that market more appealing to third parties, advertisers, etc.

In some cases, I agree with you, but names like Sony are still associated with 'high grade' televisions. People still ask for a Kleenex. Corn Flakes are still pretty popular. I've included non tech products since Apple has now re-branded themselves from a purely tech company into the worlds BEST retailer. Period. It's not just a tech story anymore.
    I don't know. The Sony TV I had wasn't nearly as good as the Samsung I now have. I think that other brands have as much or more clout now. Store brand, cheaper alternatives to Kleenex probably hold a pretty good market share there. Same with Generic Flakes instead of Corn Flakes.

Apple has done some impressive things. I just think that the driving force behind their success has not been systematic. iPod is a product that took off. Not one that is a guaranteed outcome in a competitive market. There are lots of high end versions of electronics that don't make it. Having good design isn't a guarantee that a product will take off like some of Apples have.

Stop the presses. Everyone knows my disdain for apple. I have to say they got one thing very very right that google has dropped the ball with and Windows didn't get at all.

MIDI on Ipads.
    Android had midi support but pulled it. MS never had it on their phone OS
    As a result there has been an explosion of music creation apps as well as peripheral relating to music creation.

Well, regardless of the back and forth here, the consumer will tell the story. Walk down the street, look in the coffee shops, check out the college campuses...these are the consumers that count. See what they have/own/want. There's the story right there. Let's not forget that as there's this constant Android vs. iOS talk, that's probably not the relevant discussion...for now. Right now it's the complete disintegration of RIMM, Nokia and Motorola Mobility. This comes from a religious Blackberry user, btw.

I can say as someone who supports a 10+ person sales team, the blackberryocolypse has really ****ed with a lot of people, as well as my time. this global outage is going to be a big talking point during the next upgrade cycle.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    blackberryocolypse
    Have you TM'd this yet?

Finally had time to write up a little something.
    http://joelstransky.com/what-steve-jobs-meant-to-me/