A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [GAME] Discovery

[GAME] Discovery

Here is a game I recently made. www.toggames.com

Press control to bring up your menu, which includes controls, achievements, and settings.

I know the music doesn't quite fit... other than that, suggestions, comments?

Thanks, TOG the Mighty.

For anyone who has played it so far: Messed around a bit with the game, so it doesn’t have as many confusing parts.

A change I did make that might be a bit annoying, however: the text now appears in the order that you triggered it, and as you need to be able to read it, it doesn’t go that quickly. You have to wait a while before it’s relevant, if you went that fast.

The alternative would be the text that you most recently unlocked comes up first, and the least recently comes up last, but that provides for confusing and irrelevant text after the relevant.

Any ideas on how to reconcile the two options?

Sorry to triple post, but the game is down right now, as the server I am using sucks. Will try again later.

I don’t like putting up this much in a row. But it’s up again, though I can’t include music, as the server I’m using limits me (inconsistently) to uploading files under 500 kb.

Am currently working on a log feature accessible by pressing a button, and will only show the most recent text down below.

I know I wouldn't be inclined to comment on a post with 4 from the original poster, but I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks.

my IQ is too low. I'm suggesting to make it easier.
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

Out of curiosity, where did you get stuck?

And, I forgot to mention, Space now brings up a log of the text that goes by down below, in case something is missed.

well. it seems to me like an endless adventure. You move the dot with the arrow keys then you paint .. and so on.
    I skipped a lot of messages because were too low and also because i wanted to start playing it

I got stuck in the green field
    Card Games - play many card games free
    Free Games many free online games

Heh. It does have an ending, and it gets a lot more interesting/intricate later on.

It is also a sort of puzzle game; reading back over the log would help.

I think it has potential Tog. The beginning is way to confusing and takes too long. I almost quit in the first few seconds. I started pressing buttons and found the log under the space bar. This led me to the first two suggestions:
    1 let the last message be visible onscreen, especially the first ones are very easy to miss
    2 let the player know there is a log via a message on the top of the screen and only remove that message once the player has used the log.

When I started playing around with it, I found it getting harder as I just had to guess what button to press. I think the game part in this is finding the right combinations and discovering something new. There isn't much fun in it for me if I just have to guess buttons. I liked how I accidently discovered how to make an ocean and how to make ice. More stuff to create my world with.

So my final suggestion would be to let the game be about discovering new combinations which leads to new powers. The ocean thing would be a good example of that. Void + water = ocean, new power (F)fish for example.

I got as far as rivers by the way.

Published!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/TOGgames/discovery

Felt those changes would have ruined the aesthetic a little; sorry TOdorus. It's on Kongregate now.