A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Navbar sits behind swf (in IE)

Navbar sits behind swf (in IE)

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a navbar sitting above a flash swf movie. In IE, the navbar drops behind the swf movie. I set the index of the index of the "nav" div to 1 and the index of the "flash" div to 0. I also set <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> in the flash movie. It works fine in Firefox, but in IE, the navbar stays behind the swf. I am hoping someone would please show me what I am doing wrong. Thank you, Buffmin

You can see my issue (and view the source) at test.cnjwebsolutions.com

Thumbs up Got It !!!!

Thank you Whisper!

I could not figure out in exactly which 2 places to put that code, but..... I as I was googling some more, I found out that "probably the correct way" and certainly the easiest way for novices like me is to accomplish this, is to actually "publish" it from Adobe Flash as an html file with a transparent background. I then copied the flash code from my new html file and replace my current code with it. (now I can analyze the code.Thank you for your help!! Eggweezer

Below are the actual instructions:

Using the Publish Settings in Flash Professional
    The HTML for a SWF file can be created using the Publish Settings feature in Flash. The Publish Settings dialog box provides an option to affect the WMODE setting. The options selected in the Publish Settings are added to the HTML source code automatically.

1.Choose File > Publish Settings. Make sure that HTML is selected.
    2.Select HTML.
    3.Choose Transparent Windowless from the Window Mode menu to make the SWF file's background disappear in browsers that support this feature.
    4.Publish the document.

it can be even easier than that.

here is an example
    embed code..

all you need to do is add these two parts in red

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" width="730" height="380">
    <param name="movie" value="xml_usa_map.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <embed src="xml_usa_map.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="730" height="380" wmode="transparent"></embed>
    </object>

you already did one.. you just needed to add it to the embed code/line as well

You are right Whispers! Thank you for all your help!

any time! =)

just wanted to show it can easily be done with those two 'parameters' added..

sometimes you dont have access to Flash to re-export things.. =)