A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Pimp] Outpost:Haven

I wouldn't call what I wrote feedback/a review...I WOULD do a lengthy one, but sadly I'm just busy

But hey, good job either way! When I see 64 kbps I get a knee jerk reaction of "ewWw", but that's my producer side getting the best of me...

When's the sequel coming? :P

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

"Summer 2012"

( And I now know you've not finished the first one )

Squize.

That one of your's Squize? Nice, I've played it two short times and was very impressed. Now since you're open for questions:

I'm taking a first stab at collaboration so I'm curious about how production was handled? You say you're on a strict budget, so I'm thinking you have a target monetary goal and translate that to a time goal? Did you use an artist, composer and how much time was spent on each facet (coding/graphics/music) and how was time budgetted/prioritised? Moscow list?

The AI in the game was impressive. It's not the complexity, but how well it is a game element is what impresses me. Do monsters wait until you enter a line of sight before beelining towards you, or are there some other factors as well?

Regarding the sound questions that popped up. I find it rather odd that you can use such high samplerates in Flash, as I'm experimenting with dynamic sound at the moment and the Flash soundbuffer asks for 441000 samples per second (which makes for a very odd number of bytes per milisecond). I do remember higher bitrates having a lot more definition in the higher end of the spectrum though. Weird. Anyways, the reason is that I want to use music which dynamicly changes with the amount of action happening on the screen and there seems to be no other way to switch between loops without latency. Outposts' music is trigger based I believe?

Cheers mate.

With regard budget, we knew it needed to sell for at least $10k to make it worth while ( That's obviously indie money, not day rate adver-game fantasy money ), so we built it more as a $20k game, as we take a pride in what we do, and the game is out there forever whilst money is just fleeting ( It is for me anyway ).
    The whole point of being an indie is the creative freedom, so long as we got the min. it would pay the bills and go towards funding the next game, so that's what we based the budget on.

As to the collab, Lux and I have worked together before and been friends for ages, so it was just a joy. It's important to have an artist push you so you don't cut too many corners. In terms of work, he worked on weekends and threw a lot of hours at it too, but like I said it's more a personal pride thing.
    He was totally on the same wavelength as me about it, so there was no worrying about getting his buy-in, which I think is really important.

For the music it was a mate of a mate who I'd worked with a couple of times with before. Again getting his buy-in was easy, and important.

For the AI it is a simple line of sight routine, mixed with some boid like behaviour. Its not as good as I wanted, but theres always the cpu time to consider so you can only make it so complex.

Yep, music is just triggered, nice and simple. I think you're mixing up frequency rate with mp3 encoding rate ( I can never remember the terms so I could be getting mixed up myself there too ).

Hope that answers everything mate, and thanks for asking

Squize.

Squize is epic...

where do you and your crew do all the work? aka where you located?

Ha, I'm the opposite of epic mate

I'm based in Wales after having enough of London, Lux is in America, Olli ( The other half of GYW ) is in Germany and Matt the musician is a London boy.

We're quite spread out, I seem to live on Skype.

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I had to hide in a corner with aliens everywhere because I have no ammo.

Other than that my only concern is that my character feels like he weighs 1000 pounds... why does he have to "build up" speed? Unless maybe the alien goo is sticky, it just seems like I had a hard time moving around.

Nitpicks aside, this game is glorious and way farther than the beta you let me test out... oddly enough it reminds me of the Mansion serious, cept' with guns.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

I wanna join your crew >_<... haha whats your guys next project?

@IP
    The pistol has infinite ammo, plus from level 2 onwards there are terminals where you can buy more, so you should never be totally helpless.

As to the players weight, how would you have him moving ? I wouldn't want him moving at full speed all the time as it would feel floaty and too arcade like, reverting back to 2px per frame when shooting is the price of an accurate shot and adds tension. I think going from 2px to 4px per frame in too short a space of time would feel wrong, there has to be some sort of delay to the acceleration.

Glad you liked it though, if those were the only nits being picked about the game I'd be more than happy

@YBAB
    We're doing Outpost:Swarm as a spin off, it's already been sold which is great as we have a budget to work to.
    Then I guess O2, but I've got an idea for a top down racing game that I really want to do before that, I'm approaching Alien burn out

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize View Post
    @IP
    The pistol has infinite ammo, plus from level 2 onwards there are terminals where you can buy more, so you should never be totally helpless.

As to the players weight, how would you have him moving ? I wouldn't want him moving at full speed all the time as it would feel floaty and too arcade like, reverting back to 2px per frame when shooting is the price of an accurate shot and adds tension. I think going from 2px to 4px per frame in too short a space of time would feel wrong, there has to be some sort of delay to the acceleration.

Glad you liked it though, if those were the only nits being picked about the game I'd be more than happy

@YBAB
    We're doing Outpost:Swarm as a spin off, it's already been sold which is great as we have a budget to work to.
    Then I guess O2, but I've got an idea for a top down racing game that I really want to do before that, I'm approaching Alien burn out

Squize.
    Terminals? Clearly I overlooked this. I thought the "credits" were for your score...

The weight makes more sense when you explain it that way. I wasn't really considering the compensation for aiming, though I still feel like it takes a little too long to switch from one speed to the other (i.e. changing direction to run from an alien while reloading, they instantly catch up to me).

Anyhow, hats-off to GYW. You guys continue to out-do yourselves.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

very cool game. Didn't know you built it Squize, was playing on newgrounds for a bit.

Love the lighting, sounds are just the right amount of chunk, makes you feel like you're shooting a powerful weapon.

+1

Cheers mate, although your low post count means whatever you have to say is pretty irrelevant

"Terminals? Clearly I overlooked this."

You're not the only one, we've had reviews slamming the game by people who haven't figured out the terminals ( Actually some by people who couldn't get through the 2nd door ), just the nature of the beast that some people will get more out of a game than others.

Cheers boys.

Squize.

yeah not sure what happened to my old account, logins don't work anymore. Oh well, I just need to post another 5000 usefull comments and it'll be like nothing every happened.

The game is perfect! I liked the atmosphere, sounds, story, graphics, almost everything. Really good job and a great example of how solid Flash game should look like. Congrats!

Cheers mate

Outpost:Swarm should hopefully be out in the next week or so ( It's all but done, just waiting on the sponsors feedback / API details ).

It's not a sequel, more a spin off. It's our definitive take on the Swarm mode in O:H, and it plays pretty well, we're more than happy with it.

Squize.

Swarm looks awesome sauce! I like the landscape, the rocks give a good break from the rectangluar/angular nature of the spaceship!
    WIP-ZOMBIES

Thanks. Yeah Lux did a fantastic job for the outside locations, it gives it a totally different feel.
    I managed to come up with a way of doing terrain splatting a while back and we finally got to use it in this, so there are only 3 128x128 tiles making up the floor, but it looks nice and organic because of the splatting.

I've started working with stage3D, and its fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to using that in the sequel.

Squize.

Speaking of Stage3D:
    http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Ado...es-roadmap.pdf

It's mentioned there that in the next year, they'll be finally adding lots of support for video cards, and so I probably won't be afraid to use it in the next year.
    Which of course means, I'm going to say I'll start on my zombie game, but probably sit around and just mess around with a few demos, and then get carried away with something else...

Be sure to post some Stage3D demos you cook up of any crazy gfx you manage to cook up
    WIP-ZOMBIES

Yeah everyone I know was pouring over that roadmap the other day when it came out
    Air mobile supporting stage3D is a very big deal, a great step forward. All this doom and gloom about Adobe dropping Flash support for mobile browsers isn't anything really and makes sense ( In saying that its not all rosy, and Adobe had a PR disaster the other month when all that bad news came out in one big hit ).

I posted on the blog the other day about the first game we're doing with stage3D, a sequel to our shooter DN8. I've managed to get ND2D running alongside away3D. It's not perfect, but its still really impressive.
    In the current build we've got six large planets with bump and specular mapping running over a skybox, with a silly number of sprites / particles / rotating cubes and collision detection in, and its not dropping a frame ( At 854x480 ).
    Workflow isn't as smooth as you have to pack your sprites into textures for batching which is an extra step, but its so worth it. So long as DN8:Pulse sells well and feedback shows the majority of people can play it with their GPU's, I can't see us going back to the normal displayList again, stage3D is that good.

Squize.

Outpost:Swarm is finally out.

Play it here.

I'm going to do a blog post on the npc AI hopefully in the next week or if anyone is interested.

Squize.