A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Slow loading portfolio website

Slow loading portfolio website

Hello guys, I'm a photographer completely new to flash and web design. Somehow through tons of research I've been able to make myself a flash website which features my work. There is one big problem, my site loads really slow and I'm afraid I'm loosing all of my potential clients who probably won't wait for it to load.

The website is very simple with really small images so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Here's my website url: http://www.alesyaphotography.com

I'm hosting with hostgator if that matters at all, I've also optimized the images.

It's because you have all those large images IN your Flash file, and that's why it takes so long to load the flash file. What I suggest you do, is to load the images externally!
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

What he said.

Think of it like this. Imagine your website is a bath tub. Each image is like a jug of water. What you have done is equivalent of not allowing the viewer to enter the website until the bath tub is full of water. Filling the bathtub takes time so not ideal.

What you should do is let the viewer enter the site (empty bathtub) and then let them pour the jug of water one by one or in batches according to their needs.

Basically you need to have a master file and then multiple smaller files that load externally into the master file.

@Tina31: GREAT EXAMPLE
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Good one indeed. Trying it out myself right now.