A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do I go about doing this?

How do I go about doing this?

Ok, I want to create sort of image gallery in flash for my mother's business.

Here's a quick mockup

What would I need to do to achieve this?

Here's what I've got so far:
    Rooms 1 - 4 will be buttons which will scroll up and down via scrollbar 1

Room X thumb 1-4 will appear depending on which of the rooms are selected from the left navigation bar (rooms 1-4). this will be controlled via scrollbar 2 at the bottom

Room X Thumb X Image will change depending on which Room X Thumb 1-4 is selected.

How would I do this? I'm a beginner.

For starters break up the project and ask more specific questions, right now you're basically asking someone to do the whole project for you. Don't take this the wrong way, I do want to help you but I don't want to shoot into the dark in order to do it.

learn how to link xml into flash.

Depends if you want to use xml. Personally I hate xml, I'd rather use a text file to take care of it. To each their own I guess. That is if you want to learn how to do proper formatting with xml as well as the interpreting tools to extract what you need from an xml file.

but he could quickly redo the references to the images, and have the ability to edit the flash without editing the fla! ^_^

That can be done without xml. You can use plaintext and do your own parsing, also json. I prefer json if I have to use a formatted one.

link please?

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutori...3externaltext/ So what you can do is in the text file, preselect a character to separate everything. Like a , or you can use a combination of characters like <> It doesn't matter as long as you don't use the same character in the saved data. Something that I've gotten to like recently is using this class: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPla...ictionary.html to hold the data, then you can link each variable with a name like this:
    blah:43><hot:asdf><ask:forget your question><return:and so forth
    Then you can do this: data.split("><") and then do a loop through the array and assign every data point into the dictionary by splitting each one using ":' and use the name on the left side for the lookup key.

hmm, i dont know why I did not think of that. Its very similar to textfile data parsing in visual basic...

in fact to deal with csv files you can do the very same thing...

the question now become performance, which will you achieve a quicker parsing of variables, running trough a loop that spilts the data down two ways, or a xml reference that just looks for a tag and grabs the info...

i think i may do an investigation and make a program to post on here to see which one is quicker!

That's a thought although if you think about it, xml is pretty much doing the same thing. It's just with this way you're doing it with your own structure. In fact, xml has a lot more cleaning up to do because of all the extra formatting. I know this because I've had to deal with getting a json parser to work (different language). Speedwise will all depend on how much optimisation xml parsing gets outside of actionscript.

as soon as I have some free time Ill program and investigation into that, that counts every millisecond and we will test speeds on different methods.

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    That's a thought although if you think about it, xml is pretty much doing the same thing. It's just with this way you're doing it with your own structure. In fact, xml has a lot more Bond Cleaning Brisbane up to do because of all the extra formatting. I know this because I've had to deal with getting a json parser to work (different language). Speedwise will all depend on how much optimisation xml parsing gets outside of actionscript.
    You are absolutely right.. I really hate xml formatting just because of cleaning which we need to do in this format.