A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: see ya later polygons

see ya later polygons

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

It would be cool if that was true but it's being over sensationalized. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ne_year_later/
    or
    http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

Well. That was exciting for a moment...
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

lol, sorry about that :P

Saw this going around a few months ago. Plenty of holes poked in it so far.
    I did enjoy this interview though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVB1a...eature=related

Damn.........
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I think that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Although this will probably end up me forgetting about this until they really come out with something. The link that jAQUAN provided does give me a bit more hope. I also hope that they use opengl instead of directx.

In the interview, he doesn't really address the damning points that Notch brought up.

You can see in the demo that the "world" they created is just the same few objects repeated zillions of times. It's obvious that data size for a more convincing variety of objects is a challenge.

Also, the animation he shows is just a bunch of grouped objects shifting around with basic rotations. That's not the same thing as making an object animate so that it looks flexible or skin-like. Notice that there is no wind blowing the branches of the trees around. It would be a monster task to manipulate that many "atoms" to do so in a natural-looking way.

If there is a game that would make sense to take place in a perfect space vacuum with battles between unlimited numbers of the same two plastic GI Joe figures, the future is right around the corner!
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf