A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Java?

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar

Java?

thinking about learning some java maybe on eclipse is it fun nig13 you ever tried it? is it capable of 3D because Ive seen acouple that are 3d but not sure if that requires some plugins or you can make it on just plain java.
    edit:
    Wow I just got flash cs5 huge difference from my cs3 bone tools awesome 3d tools awesome
    Last edited by AS3.0; 02-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.

lol, yeah I tried it a few days ago, because I also want to start learning a new programming language

I've seen java game use 3D, but not sure if it's with plugins, probably, because otherwise it would be difficult, I think, dunno >.<

I've been lately searching a lot for a new programming language, like C++, C#, C and Java, to see which one is the simplest when you can Actionscript 2.0. Seems like Java and C# are the best in that case, but I don't want .jar files, I want .exe files, but I tried downloading Microsoft Visual Studio, because C# is Microsoft's language, and looked easier than C++ and C, but the installation always seem to give me errors and not install correctly :P

Though I don't want to learn C++, it seems like it's inevitable to not. The reason is that you have to import libraries and stuff like that, in other words, it's more Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) based than Actionscript 2.0, which I am not used to, and Actionscript 3.0 is fully OOP, which is why I don't want to learn it, but it seems like I would have to do that as well, eventually, since Adobe will probably not keep AS2 forever...
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

lol the reason im scared of java is idk if it's similar to flash where you can lay everything yourself on the sceen or all objects have to be like attached through code.

that's what I'm afraid of as well, but I think Actionscript is a very user-friendly Coding Environment, everything-in-one, coding and graphics, so we started on kinda the more easier language, but he have to sooner or later face difficulties by moving on to another harder language :P

I don't know of any other language set up like flash is. I learned how to program with as2. I find that if you try and focus on code based solutions it'll help you to shift to other languages like java. In fact, java was the next language I learned after flash.

oh, What program do you suggest I use, eclipse? thats the only one I know lol.

Damn nig you reached 1000 posts lol I was waiting to see the thousandth one cause last week you had like 950 ish I was to late

well, I have only tried it ONCE, and that was through an example, so I have little to no knowledge, but I tried using NetBeans

1000th Post [Post #8]

lol, sorry you missed it :P

I had a good experience with eclipse, I'd go with it. I don't use eclipse now because I'm working with a new language that doesn't seem to be integrated with eclipse.

kk, thanks. And oh well nig13 maybe i'll be lucky once you reach a million

million o.O?? haha :P

lol Yeah, And on youtube I saw this guy making a 3d shooter on an old version of eclipse with no extensions just raw eclipse. so its possible. thatl be fun but im going to start on platforms maybe next week im going to start learning you down to learn it with me nig? im not down to leave this cool forum site though, maybe rename it java kit:P

friends telling me to just go for C even more scary oh well. im going to give it a shot starting... now.

uhhh just took a look at C uhhh lets pretend I never brought that up.
    Last edited by AS3.0; 02-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.

haha, yeah, C is really scary

yeah, sure, why not. I have one week break next week, so that'd be perfect. But I wanna make Windows .exe applications, but hopefully Java will suffice and satisfy

btw, I think Minecraft is made in Java

Actionscript Code:
    trace(("java")+(("flashkit").substr(5, 7)));

Minecraft is most definitely made in java. Alright sweet, let me know if you use any realtime chatting thing so we can chat cause it'd be kind of hard to communicate over this board lol.

hmm, I get the sense that you're talking to Nig about that. In fact, since my coming back to revisit flashkit, I get the feeling that flashkit seems to revolve around you Nig. At any rate. I'd suggest you try out something like Unity3d or Monkey instead. I suppose that as far as syntax goes java would be more familiar than something like monkey but the advantage with Monkey (it's the one I currently work on) is it can be compiled for a bunch of platforms including flash and ios.

no, not at all, swak, Basses6 and I have kinda formed a "friendship", that's why that was targeted for me. It just seems like flashkit revolves around me because I am the only one who's online almost every single day, so please don't feel like that. Judging by your reply, it seems like you're interested in teaching him java, is that right (or did I fail to comprehend your post -.-*)?

In any case, how did you learn Java and how easy do you think it is to learn it if you know Actionscript 2.0?

The reason I'm saying that things seem to revolve around you is I've noticed a number of threads directed at you specifically. That comment was kind of tongue in cheek. As for how I learned java, I actually learned as3 first. It could be good for you to do that first. By the time that I started learned as3 I had an attitude of splitting up code and trying to do everything with code. Naturally that's not always a good idea but for things like building a GUI you should try it. Don't have anything on the stage to start with. Create textFields with code. Dynamically pull stuff from the library and so on. I don't mind sharing advice. If you guys haven't learned any other languages than as2 at this point than you've made the same start as me.

Even I have no idea why some titles have my nickname in them, it even surprises me, haha xD

I recently started learning AS3, even though I've never wanted to do that, but it seems like it's inevitable not to, because at some point, AS2 is bound to be deprecated, leaving me no choice but to learn the most up-to-date language, whether I like it or not. You're right, we're too dependent on placing objects like textfields and movieclips manually in Flash, rather than with code, but to do all with code is the key to learning a new language, since most of them are completely OOP-based. AS3 is also strongly OOP-based, but not entirely. I just started learning classes, because those are essentials when it comes to Object-Oriented Programming.

I'll be sure to ask for your advice if I get stuck, thanks

Java syntax is more like AS2 syntax.

Learning AS2 OOPs is more easy to dive into Java OOPs.

Learning AS2 Classes is also in the line of curve as AS3 Classes and Java Class base structure.

@Nig 13: Learn AS2 Class base Structure before AS3. Read my thread which is in AS2 and other Event base tutorials on AS2.

@sawk: AS2 is also code base. Only difference is you have to put your components in your library. Advantage is you can make your own visuals in vectors through flash tools, whereas in Java you have to use raster/bitmap to do that. Disadvantage is you can run java everywhere where applicable. This is not a combat, Java is java ActionScript is actionScript. No comparison take place between two.

I will going to post the project on that thread shortly where you can see all are done through CODE only.

Regards
    Last edited by FlexFlashApps; 02-16-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    FFA

I dont think it would be that hard to get used to java if we start using PAINT.NET though that things great, stores all your images in its own little library, minecraft art was made using paint.net too. This saturday im going to start trying to learn, idk where to start though maybe ill start by learning like movement code and stuff like that.