A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash banners with 40k restriction...

Flash banners with 40k restriction...

Hey guys,

I am new to flash, I have followed a few tutorials I found to learn the basics of creating some banner ads with mild animations (IE- image slide ins, image fade in/out etc).

The problem I am having is this: My company is doing some banner advertisement with Yahoo and they want me to make 2 banners which can be the dimensions of my choosing. The catch is that the file size has to be at MOST 40k...

I have found this to be a challenge. I create the graphics in photoshop and then attempt to create it in flash. I cant seem to get it under 40k without it looking like complete garbage.

What is confusing me is I look at others advertising on Yahoo and they have crisp text and images.

Is there something I am missing or can anyone shed light on the proper direction I should be looking for creating these 40k banners?

Thanks!

-Rob

I always hated this when I had to do banners for my company.. (clicktag, epinions, dealtime, yahoo..etc)

I have found that compressing yrou images as much as you can in phothsop before importing helps..

also.. any text of objects that CAN be made in flash with vector tools 'should be' as this will also help cut down on file size..

try doing animations with code rather than timeline frames/tweens too..

Thanks for the reply. Ya its extremely frustrating. Especially since I never used flash and thought I was catching on well, made a nice banner and then hit that brick wall in the face LOL.

I will look into the coding side of it too.

Thanks again!

Another tricks, which will helps you to be a 40k magician are:

if you want to make animation of image with transparent backgroun (.png). The .png images doesn`t support "optimise for web" in PS, so make them as .jpg on darker or lighter background color (depends to background in your future banner). Then import this .jpg image in Flash and make movie clip with it. Make mask, which traces the desired object in the jpg out. Convert the tracing lines to shape and fill the form. So you will have you object on transparent background, but from .jpg (which allows you to optimise in PS).

Solid, thick or handwrited fonts raises the KBs.

AS3 3D simulating tweens - raises the KBs.

The good number of images in the animations is 2 (1 is unreal good).

The best scenario for 40k animation is : Animated vector shapes fading or moving acrros the banner area and showing the intro texts. Then one final frame with effect for the background image, title and buttons. The most important thing in one flash ad is the text. Text force people to remember the ads and understand the products. So attract the viewer`s attentions with text moving around, poping and fading. Then show one or two final image/s.

If you have some action scenes in your animation - use images with very low quality and apply blur filter to them. When the images moving fast in the action scenes - blurring helps the actions to look faster and more dynamic.

Fade-in effect with shape in linear gradinet with semi transaprency always look good and doesn`t use more than 1kb.Just make movie clip with such shape and use for it`s instance .cachAsBitmap = true; and apply masking via actionscript.

And finaly - the 40KB`s KING - use one image and extract the objects from it via masking. Then make animation with appearance of each from these object - motion from big size to small size. And in the background the full image should appear slowly with "Fade-in effect in linear gradient with semi-transparency". So the objects in motion from big to small size will hide for a while it`s original face in the background and then fit in it. This imitate 3D effect and is very attractive. Usualy there is rollOver event - in which the object get bigger and smaller onRollOut. This communicate with the user actions and distract it`s attention away from the quality of the images. I have experience with such animation in TF3, MI IV, Shrek, Puss in Boots 3D banners, Beauty and The Beast 3D banners and now in Dictator & Avengers movie banners. Also in some of them - there is shining behind the main object. When rollOver - object poping up and the shine rises up. Cool result

Scotty does know how to Fla-make cool ads.

http://flamake.net - this Ads will Fla-make you crazy. Find your cheap flash banners and see the best commercials around the world.

Hi Rob,

I found this thread a few days ago while searching for what people are saying these days about the whole 40k file size issue.

How have things progressed for you Rob over the past year?

Cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalrob View Post
    Hey guys,

I am new to flash, I have followed a few tutorials I found to learn the basics of creating some banner ads with mild animations (IE- image slide ins, image fade in/out etc).

The problem I am having is this: My company is doing some banner advertisement with Yahoo and they want me to make 2 banners which can be the dimensions of my choosing. The catch is that the file size has to be at MOST 40k...

I have found this to be a challenge. I create the graphics in photoshop and then attempt to create it in flash. I cant seem to get it under 40k without it looking like complete garbage.

What is confusing me is I look at others advertising on Yahoo and they have crisp text and images.

Is there something I am missing or can anyone shed light on the proper direction I should be looking for creating these 40k banners?

Thanks!

-Rob

After the master class provided by dagger_69, little can be added

Only insist that the basis is to use vector graphics. Have you ever used vectorial applications (Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw...)?

And an example of a banner simmilar to what described dagger_69 before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfjCvzEA4M&t=55s