A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash CS3 AS3 still works in CS5?

Flash CS3 AS3 still works in CS5?

Hello fellow flasher, this question may be asked before, but i couldn't find on the net, i'm new to cs5, and i want to learn more as3, and i have some cs3 tutorial, is it a good idea to learn from cs3 as3? and does cs3 as3 still works in cs5?

Thanks all.

Regards,
    AntheMz

If you have CS5 then its depends on you and your choice to use CS3 or not.

But you can always run CS3 file/project or AS2 AS3 code in any upper versions.

We in Office use from CS3 to CS5 to serve different Client.

Even we also have Flash8 still running in some machine to develop applications as before.

I prefer to use CS3 as I'm familiar with this. But I also use the Other IDEs too.

If you have CS3 then my recommendation is to go through it.

FFA

I have never tried that, but theoretically it SHOULD work, because Flash itself doesn't run the codes, it's the Flash Player, so whatever Flash Player you're using (probably the most up-to-date one), will be the determining factor of the actionscript version you are using. I don't think Actionscript 3.0 has changed since CS3, but some new (minor) stuff may have been added since its release, but nothing major, otherwise they would've released Actionscript 4.0, lol.

To show an example, in Actionscript 2.0, you have to manually enable Smoothing to Bitmap images, to make them look smooth when moving or resizing, however, as of Flash Player 9, the Flash Player released around the same time as CS3 (with Actionscript 3.0), a new variable was added for AS2, forceSmoothing, to allow smoothing to Bitmap images through coding, however, when testing this in Flash 8 with AS2, you won't see the effect, but when published on the internet, and playing the same Flash movie through your browser, which probably has the most up-to-date version of Flash Player, the effects of forceSmoothing will be seen, contrary to inside Flash 8, which only supports Flash Player 8 as the latest version.

Hope this helps
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My planning is to learn AS3 from CS3 AS3 tutorials, and im not going to use CS3 to code it, i will use in CS5.

so like you said.. it works right?

Quote Originally Posted by FlexFlashApps View Post
    But you can always run CS3 file/project or AS2 AS3 code in any upper versions.

Yeah, it will work, the only difference might be that CS5 might have some new tools (like Bone Tool) that weren't implemented in CS3, but code-wise, it should work just fine, because like I said, Flash Player is the one who interprets your code, and AS3 is the same on all Flash versions, and if changes have been made, you can always add those manually to your AS3 code and not see the effects inside CS3, but when testing online with updated flash player on your browser, it will work.

SHORT ANSWER: Yes, it works
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

ok, thank you so much