A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Old skills need update!

resolved [RESOLVED] Old skills need update!

Last time I made a button was v5.. and everyone would jump up and down everytime a new smart clip was available.. lol....

I want to switch my swf from 800x500 to 100% by 100% how do I stop my bitmaps breaking up?....

Grateful as always... Cheers B
    Defy the boundaries!.. NEVER surrender to the code!!!.....

breaking up, as in lose quality?

Find your bitmap in your Library, right-click it, select Properties, in the new popup box, tick/check Allow Smoothing, and press OK.

or with code:

Actionscript Code:
    mc.forceSmoothing = true;

where mc is the Movieclip with your Bitmap inside
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

Smooth may get you a ways down the road but scaling up a bitmap will have limits before the quality degrades due to lack of data.... in other words you may not be able to stretch a 800x500 bitmap image to 1680x1050 (for example) without greatly degrading the quality. While you can scale a 1680x1050 down without quality problems, you can't go the other way. Vector images do not have this problem and can be gracefully scaled up or down.
    There are approx 440% more pixels in a 1680x1050 image than in a 800x500 px image and without increasing the amount of data available (in other words using a larger or less compressed image..larger file size), then the data available from the 800x500 px image has to be watered down and spread out over that much larger area... the result is what's often called "pixilation".
    Think of it in terms of a can of paint. If you have 1 quart of paint, you might be able to do a very nice job on a 32 X 24 foot area. But if you try to stretch that same amount of paint out over a 64 X 48 foot area, the coverage will not be nearly as good and you get poor results.
    So while you can set the display to 100% w/h, you may need to use a larger or higher quality (less compressed) image.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Thanks guys... Ive asked the wrong way?

I already understand the stuff said... There the same probs Id have in the old days..... my question is..........

Take facebooks game farmville.. where I first noticed it a few years ago.. You could go from the small playscreen to fullscreen.. but the animals/objects havent changed size?.... like that I want my dude to remain the same size?!... wasnt an option back in the day.... ty

Frame Code:
    Actionscript Code:
    Stage.scaleMode = "noScale";

this will stop Flash from scaling your movie when it is scaled, if it helps :P

Ty dude.. works great!.. : )

Wasnt sure where to put it... just made second actions line.. dumped in frame 1, and let run the length of the movie?!...

How do I have "terms and conditions" text remain bottom center?

base text issue?

Cheers B

Well, I did say Frame Code: above the actual code, but I just knew it would most likely be ignored, but despite knowing that, I didn't do anything to emphasize it

What do you mean with text remain bottom center?

Lol!.. : )....

Sooo had that coming!.. hehehe.... My Bad!.....

Bottom Center:?

oh, I think what you mean. the noScale function keeps the Flash size, it doesn't resize it, it only prevents Flash from scaling, only the objects inside the SWF file, not the Flash dimensions (width and height) themselves, if you wanted that, you'd have to resize everything proportionally to the new size when flash was resized, and that I can frankly say is a real pain to accomplish, you'd basically have to remake your whole website to support that function, so I do not advice you to do that in your current stage

I do & dont understand dude... the good news is my sites not 100% by 100%.... just a brief intro is... theirs only 4 objects in it!....

So what A.S would I add to these guys to a. make them keep there original size.. and keep "terms & conditions" hard to the bottom?... ty

It's not showing up like that here, on my computer, but did you manually set the positions of the text and button, or with code, if with code, then would you mind sharing it?

My bad dude!... theirs redirect cookies and stuff all over the place, so you mite not see the same intro as a first timer!....

The goal is to get "terms & conditions" to sit hard at the bottom... as expected, when I made it at around 800x500.. it sat great on my screen... I found on others, it could be 3-4cms up from the bottom.. 1 mate had so many tool bars around he couldnt even see it (frames set to "no scollbar").... first visit u have to click it...

I figured turing it to 100%x100% was the best way to fix this?... but I know just setting it to that will course the bitmaps to break down?....

See zip for fla & swf.. shes far from pretty will clean it up later when these bugs fixed...
    introdemo.zip

Note: As always, grateful for your help Nig 13.. but at the same time I welcome anyone to give me some input on this one.. and maybe we give Nig's a day off!.. lol... ty TB

After thought.... I dont want anything done with the files.. Im just hoping someone could past the code here for me to add...

Goal: tell each 4-5 objects to keep there original size (code to each object?).. adding this code to enter button puzzles me a little?... and then tell/add to "Terms.." to stay at bottom... although I have the feeling if I tell "terms.." to keep size on its own.. it will then be free to move around the swf more.. fixing that prob at the same time....

I can't seem to understand you, there's nothing wrong here, when you resize nothing scales. However, I used Abobe BrowserLab to test your page on different versions of Internet Explorer, and it seems that on one version, bottom part is cut off, and in other, it extends a bit too far, but no one shows like the image you provided Post #10. If you want to make it that no matter what the dimensions of the Flash are, the different elements will stay at fixed positions, but that requires coding, and since you made your intro with ANIMATION, it's impossible to add it to your current setting. To fix it, you'll need to remove the animation and make all the animations with codes using movieclips, and only have one single frame!

I can't seem to understand you, there's nothing wrong here, when you resize nothing scales.
    ... Thats my prob dude... I WANT IT TO SCALE! but I want the objects to keep there original size?....

I WANT IT TO SCALE! but I want the objects to keep there original size?....
    So you want it to scale... change sizes as the window changes... but you want the objects to keep their original sizes...???
    Change size but keep the original size?
    You've got someone really trying to help you, Nig 13... so you don't need to shout!
    Is this still the link you are working on?
    http://www.gibsonprotocol.com/
    If you expect things to work well on your site, then you need to remember that there is NO SUCH THING as a Flash Web site! Only HTML, PHP, ASP, etc sites that may have some Flash content. So while you may be including some Flash, you still need to play by the HTML rules.
    For example, start by validating your Web page code here:
    http://validator.w3.org/
    quite a number of errors, a few which are VERY IMPORTANT!!
    And FRAMESET, WHY? Even the idea of a splash (entry) page is so out of date and user unfriendly.
    And since you are not using something like swfobject to provide meaningful alt content, you do realize that the content is invisible to search engines.. right?
    Why not just skip the splash page?
    Or at least use "Best Practice" and offer Flash content directly on a valid Web page (no frameset) via swfobject and provide some meaningful alt content that accurately describes the details of the Flash content.
    Oh... and if you want your Flash content to stay the same size as the view window is expanded/contracted... that's very easily done via the HTML/CSS style you set for the page... of course that only works on pages with valid HTML code.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

So sorry guys... Please know Im extremely grateful for all your help... Shout??... does that means works in bold?... sorry I thought words in bold meant the important stuff... Skills updated...

V-man your so right.. my lack of education is making me produce some awful questions for you poor guys to try and work out... sorry for that.. I will give us and questions a break for awhile!... Amen!...

Nig 13.. sorry if Ive offended you in anyway!.. Know that myself and all the other newbies appreciate all the time you take to help where you can!... : ).....

Can we end this post now!.. No bad vides.. none of us have the time!....

Nig's V-man thanks guys... B

No problem

and Video-Man's excellent post gave me an idea. Just make your intro as a still Image (JPEG, PNG) with the Terms & Conditions written on, and make that image clickable so that it redirects you to another page with your Flash Website embedded. Just like you have it now, except for the Flash Intro, change it to an image.

and btw, NO ONE (except a very, very, very, VERY small minority) read the Terms & Conditions, everyone tend to skip it, even though you've made it so that they have to cilck on it, but that won't prevent them from not reading, they'll just continue on to the site, or you may lose a few visitors due to that. Admit, you yourself have never either read the Terms and Conditions when, for example installing a software, or registering to a Forums like this one, right ?

OMG!.. lol... So sorry to do your heads in guys!... I believe this was what I was trying to ask!....

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutori...s3fluidresize/

ty for trying.. B

and that was exactly what I was trying to help you with as well, we just weren't quite on the same page