A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to stop sound

Question How to stop sound

Hello everyone.

I'm in the making of a beginner project. Small picture button that shows a bigger picture after click. I want them play different sound before and after click. First small picture i placed in 1st frame and second picture i placed in 5th frame to jump in after click. Jumping works.

Now the sound. I added mp3 sound to the first frame and it starts playing. Good.
    Then i added another sound to the 5th frame and here is the problem. After jump to the 5th frame both sounds are playing.

I want to make 1st sound stops while jumping to the 5th frame and play second sound.

How to make it?

I think you might need to give us a little bit more info on how you are loading your sounds.

Are you placing the sounds on the timeline, or creating them dynamically with ActionScript 3.0?

If you're doing it dynamically, here's a good site to help you out. It goes through the basics of adding a SoundChannel (which is required for stopping particular sounds) and how to stop a sound: http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials/flash/as3sound/

Section "4. Stopping a Sound" on that page is probably what you're looking for. The code that does it (taken from the link above) is below:

Code:
    var mySound:Sound = new Sound();
    var myChannel:SoundChannel = new SoundChannel();
    mySound.load(new URLRequest("myFavSong.mp3"));
    myChannel = mySound.play();

stop_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, onClickStop);

function onClickStop(e:MouseEvent):void{
    myChannel.stop();
    }
    Hope that helps.

Heres a good basic youtube example dude.. a basic jukebox playing 4 song files across 9 frames... not exactly what your after, but with a little thought it has all the elements you need for your project!.. But brace yourself, not as easy as you hoped!.. lol... made in as1 & 2...

http://www.youtube.com/

Luck!.. : )
    Defy the boundaries!.. NEVER surrender to the code!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Back2012 View Post
    Heres a good basic youtube example dude.. a basic jukebox playing 4 song files across 9 frames... not exactly what your after, but with a little thought it has all the elements you need for your project!.. But brace yourself, not as easy as you hoped!.. lol... made in as1 & 2...

http://www.youtube.com/

Luck!.. : )
    It was helpful, thanks.

You too Danny. I suppose dynamic method is more flexible. Well as a beginner i'll stick to the timeline for now.

Thanks again both of you.

There are many different ways to skin a cat here is an example of a slightly more bloodier version:

Code:
    var mySound:Sound = new MySound();
    var mySoundCHNL:SoundChannel = new SoundChannel();
    mySound= mySound.play(0,1000);
    var mySoundVolume:SoundTransform = mySoundCHNL.soundTransform;
    mySoundVolume.volume = 0;
    volume can be set from 0 to 1.

MySound is a sound file in the library as a class linkage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    There are many different ways to skin a cat here is an example of a slightly more bloodier version:

Code:
    var mySound:Sound = new MySound();
    var mySoundCHNL:SoundChannel = new SoundChannel();
    mySound= mySound.play(0,1000);
    var mySoundVolume:SoundTransform = mySoundCHNL.soundTransform;
    mySoundVolume.volume = 0;
    volume can be set from 0 to 1.

MySound is a sound file in the library as a class linkage
    This is also another option, but the only issue is that the sound would still be "playing", just you can't hear it. This could be useful in some instances (where you can to have the sound continue playing as it will only be off for a while, like during a menu), but if you want to be optimal, it's probably best practice to stop the sound completely rather than mute it. All depends on the situation, really, but good job pointing this out, I forgot about it and it could help out a few others.