A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hello everyone! (I needz help)

Exclamation Hello everyone! (I needz help)

Hi,

I'm LiteFlash, and I'm also new here.
    Now I'm part of other forums, and I know how it feels when you get those occasional people that come by pleading for help and never come back after their 1st post, so I'm not going to do that.
    I snooped around the site before and picked up some great tips, and I like it here. Enough that I think I'll stay for a while

There is still an issue

I run Flash MX on a Mac (old, upgrading in a month or so. I run 10.4.11 for feature reference) and I'm in the middle of working on an animation for someone, and it's due in exactly 13 days from now.

It's not at a full start yet (gotta get the voiceover and script revision from client), but I'm already fretting now. Actually, my emotions are more of a combo between "I'm having a hard time sleeping" and these two guys -->

Yeah.

(You can skip to the part where my options narrow to A or B if you don't wanna read my sob story)

Anyways, this client will be using the animation on a mobile device (iPad), and I can't export in html5 (I don't have CS6.. Yet.) and obviously it won't work on an iPad. Not a huge deal here, nothing is going to be interactive, but he may want it later.

The REAL issue here is that I need to get him an mp4. of this animation, and I've been having issues for a few years with exporting movies from Flash. I put the faulty (they won't work on any computer except mine) mov. files (exported from Flash) through an mp4. converter I got (iSquint), but it doesn't look that great. And I can only export at about 640x420 or so.
    So I bought iShowU to use to capture the animation on the screen (better quality) but now I discovered that I'm getting lag when I try recording the mov. files via quicktime, or the swf. files. Or it just gets really slow. This happens with the swf. files sometimes even when I'm not screen capturing them. I'm pretty sure this is due to my lack of RAM, 512mb to be exact.

So this is why I came here:

I need either A or B.

A. To find some type of converter (It's gotta be less than 10 bucks. C'mon, I already blew money of the iShowU didn't I?) that will take a swf. and convert it to an mp4. and maintain quality. Oh, and it has to be compatible with 10.4.11

B. Have a generous soul around here to convert my swf. to an mp4. for me within a day or 2's notice.
    I'll tip you at least 5 bucks (if thats allowed on this forum) if it all goes smoothly.

If not, I don't see any other alternative except fall into mental depression or cry for a month.

Thanks a TON just for taking the time to read this, I hope someone around here can help me out!

Welcome to FK. You posted this in the Coffee Lounge which is strictly off topic, not for flash support. Since you are not asking for code assistance I moved this to Flash Newbies.

As I'm sure you've discovered, using File -> Export doesn't work in most cases. This is because that feature only exports the frames of the main timeline. If you had five frames in the main timeline and the last frame had a movieclip on the stage with 30 more frames of animation, your exported .mov is only going to be those first 5 frames. Adobe should have built a better exporter by now but it would be pretty hard to know exactly when to stop. Plus if you have animation controlled by code it would not know where the "end" is.

So yes, you will need a very fast computer with ishowu's capture settings set very high. This will allow the swf to play back at full speed without dropping a frame and ishowu will be able to capture it to disk at a high resolution without dropping frames either.

Option A isn't really an option because there are no converters (that I know of) that do all of the things I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully you can find someone with a strong enough rig to help you with Option B.

There is sort of an option C. A set of tools have recently been released that assist in converting your timeline to html/javascript. Check out CreateJS. I'm not if it will work with MX.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    Welcome to FK. You posted this in the Coffee Lounge which is strictly off topic, not for flash support. Since you are not asking for code assistance I moved this to Flash Newbies.

As I'm sure you've discovered, using File -> Export doesn't work in most cases. This is because that feature only exports the frames of the main timeline. If you had five frames in the main timeline and the last frame had a movieclip on the stage with 30 more frames of animation, your exported .mov is only going to be those first 5 frames. Adobe should have built a better exporter by now but it would be pretty hard to know exactly when to stop. Plus if you have animation controlled by code it would not know where the "end" is.

So yes, you will need a very fast computer with ishowu's capture settings set very high. This will allow the swf to play back at full speed without dropping a frame and ishowu will be able to capture it to disk at a high resolution without dropping frames either.

Option A isn't really an option because there are no converters (that I know of) that do all of the things I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully you can find someone with a strong enough rig to help you with Option B.

There is sort of an option C. A set of tools have recently been released that assist in converting your timeline to html/javascript. Check out CreateJS. I'm not if it will work with MX.
    Sorry about that, I realized that I posted in the off topic section right after I submitted the post.

Thanks for the info, and I understand what your talking about.

I'll clarify this a bit more:

I can export the animations in a mov. file from Flash and view it on my computer with no lag (most of the time), artifacts, or other issues.

When I send that same mov. file zipped or unzipped to my email or hosting site, it doesn't even show the movie, just a bunch of multi-colored squares or just an error.

But when I put the mov. file into iSquint, it exports it as an mp4. and I can send it to an email, hosting site, or wherever, but there is quality loss and it's fuzzy.

What I have found out is that there are swf. or movie converters out there that will take that file and turn it into a movie format. But from what you said it sounds like those wouldn't work, correct?
    I should have also mentioned I'm not using any code for this animation.

And I can't send a mov. file to anyone without first converting it on my computer with iSquint. Which reduces all the quality and stuff.

So thats why I can only send out a swf. to someone with a powerful computer and/or some type of swf. to mp4. converter I see trying to be sold on the internet all the time.
    And since all hope is lost for the screen capture idea I'm in an even more tight situation.

P.S. I hope I didn't contradict anything you said in your post, jAQUAN. And thanks for moving the thread over for me.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I just want to politely bump this thread. Let me know if it's against the forum rules or impolite.

So again:

I need to get a swf or two converted to an mp4, mov, avi, or other similar format on the 21st or 22nd of this month (thats my estimate as to when the project will be finished).

And I'll award $5 to anyone who is willing to do that for me

Thanks everyone!
    -LiteFlash

You could always upload the file to youtube (or maybe vimeo), then use a youtube downloader to down the file in the format you want.
    http://keepvid.com/