A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Loading RSS Feed

Loading RSS Feed

Hey guys,

It's been YEARS since I've messed with Flash. The last time I did was when Flash MX 2004 came out and that was 8 years ago, lol. Then I made a game, was pretty cool.

So, fast forward. I'm coming out of the Army and a few months back I started an Indie Record Label after having 13 years now of being in the music industry as a producer and mixer/master.

So I have a website www.blackandyellowrecords.com and I'm changing a few things, the main thing is instead of displaying a small single page with important things about each artist, clicking on an artist will now display a flash site that is dedicated to the artist. haha. SO.

On the home page of their flash site will be a little into txt and HOPEFULLY an RSS news from that will be generated from livejournal.com

(EX.: feed://socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss)

The problem is I've looked on google and on Flashkit for about 3 to 4 hours now and can't find anything that works.

I'm using AS2.0 that was called for in the Flash Website Tutorial I used.

I just can't seem to figure out of to display a dynamic news feed for the life of me.

Specs:
    Flash CS6
    AS2.0
    Need feed to be displayed in a controlled area (ie. movie clip or something)

Thank you in advance for any help or solution you may have for this.
    Sincerely,
    B.D.Smith

Wow, you already have Flash CS6? Nice, is it better ?

as for your question, I helped someone else some time ago: http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s....php3?t=270920
    I am back, guys ... and finally 18 :P

BRING BACK THE OLD DESIGN!! OR AT LEAST FIX THE AS TAGS

It's a trial. As I've stated the last one I used was Flash MX 2004 with AS2.0

One thing I noticed was the timeline is at the bottom now (which I like personally) and other than that I don't remember much from the old but I think it's nice.

I'll take a look at your thread and let you know if it helps.

You wouldn't know anything about buttons in movie clips not working would you?

MAIN MC holds the whole site. Then Sections hold the pages. Then the Media1 (a section/ page) MC is where music or video buttons are. music_Btn is in the Media1 MC.

So Media1 is a "section" MC that is inside the "section" MC which is inside the "main" MC, the main MC is on the main timeline.

I tried I read somewhere that even though the button is inside multiple MC's I should be able to still put the AS inside the main MC with the buttons that are located in the Main MC.

I used:
    Actionscript Code:
    section.media1.music_Btn.onRelease = function(){
    sections.gotoAndStop("music");
    sections.muic.gotoAndPlay(2)
    }

Now other AS that located in the same area which communicates with nav buttons that are in the same main MC as the AS (music_Btn is in media1 mc)
    use as of the same style

Actionscript Code:
    bio_Btn.onRelease = function(){
    sections.gotoAndStop("bio");
    sections.bio.gotoAndPlay(2)
    };

the Nav buttons work but not the button in side the Media1 MC

This may sound confusing and if it does I'll try to clear it up a little.

May not that when testing and rolling over the music_Btn which is inside the Media1 MC which is in the Sections MC which is in the Main MC on scene 1, it DOES act like a button changing the pointer to a hand icon... Just when I click the button, nothing happens.

tried the coding

clicked the Txt tool made an empty dynamic txt field
    on the frame with the txt field put in the AS code that was on the link u sent

got this error

Error opening URL 'feed://socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss'

I DID notice there was a .xml on the original rss feed in the code but mine is not XML maybe the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by BDSmith View Post
    It's a trial. As I've stated the last one I used was Flash MX 2004 with AS2.0

One thing I noticed was the timeline is at the bottom now (which I like personally) and other than that I don't remember much from the old but I think it's nice.

I'll take a look at your thread and let you know if it helps.

You wouldn't know anything about buttons in movie clips not working would you?

MAIN MC holds the whole site. Then Sections hold the pages. Then the Media1 (a section/ page) MC is where music or video buttons are. music_Btn is in the Media1 MC.

So Media1 is a "section" MC that is inside the "section" MC which is inside the "main" MC, the main MC is on the main timeline.

I tried I read somewhere that even though the button is inside multiple MC's I should be able to still put the AS inside the main MC with the buttons that are located in the Main MC.

I used:
    Actionscript Code:
    section.media1.music_Btn.onRelease = function(){
    sections.gotoAndStop("music");
    sections.muic.gotoAndPlay(2)
    }

Now other AS that located in the same area which communicates with nav buttons that are in the same main MC as the AS (music_Btn is in media1 mc)
    use as of the same style

Actionscript Code:
    bio_Btn.onRelease = function(){
    sections.gotoAndStop("bio");
    sections.bio.gotoAndPlay(2)
    };

the Nav buttons work but not the button in side the Media1 MC

This may sound confusing and if it does I'll try to clear it up a little.

May not that when testing and rolling over the music_Btn which is inside the Media1 MC which is in the Sections MC which is in the Main MC on scene 1, it DOES act like a button changing the pointer to a hand icon... Just when I click the button, nothing happens.

I want to cry... (not really)... but after 5 or more hours of not being able to figure out the button problem, I randomly right clicked the button and added
    Actionscript Code:
    on (release){
        _parent.gotoAndStop("music")
    }
    What I did is instead of trying sections.gotoAndStop etc I used _parent.goto...

that was on a whim. didn't think it'd work and almost had a heart attack when it did...

now... if I could just figure out the RSS feed display issue haha.

Haha, glad you figured it out, trial and error is the key to learning

as for the RSS problem, yes it needs to be XML file. If you try entering your Feed URL in your browser, it doesn't work, hence nothing is imported into Flash. Just try this URL:

Code:
    socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss
    or if that doesn't work, then try this one:

Code:
    socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss.xml
    Hope this works

Well I removed the Feed: portion so now the URL looks like your last code snippet.

two things:
    1. I've noticed on my main Joomla website the RSS from LiveJournal takes a very long time to update, so it may just be waiting for the update (the feed only has one post I made about 8 hours ago) so it could be working now because:
    2. I no longer get an alert upon testing the movie in Flash or browser that said something about allowing the flash to communicate with LiveJournal via internet (was a MAC warning).

So I'll let it ferment for a while and see if it just needs to catch that update.
    I can also try to call the main joomla site's RSS for testing purposes.

After either I will update this thread with yay or nay for anyone else looking for the same prob.

I appreciate your help btw.

(after originally posting I noticed this in flash output on timeline so this is an edit)
    I saw on the output on the timeline I got this

Error opening URL 'file:////Volumes/Macintosh%20HD/Users/BDSmith/Desktop/socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss'

lol that was removing the feed: portion. It may just be due to a flash test and not browser test. I'll try a browser test and an uploaded server test.

**Test in browser does not produce "Error opening URL 'file:////Volumes/Macintosh%20HD/Users/BDSmith/Desktop/socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss'" will let it sit for a while.
    Last edited by BDSmith; 05-16-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: new update

Hi,

of course it does not produce any errors in browser, because the Output panel is only in Flash, it's not included with the .SWF file, lol, and for the URL error problem, try:

Code:
    http://socalm-news.livejournal.com/data/rss.xml