A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Saving and loading

Saving and loading

Hey there good forumites.

I've recently been contracted in to design a game 'skills tool', much like the one found here
    http://en.gw2codex.com/build/generator/
    Creating it isnt a problem at all, but my clients want the ability to save and load, much like the site above has (in the bottom right corner)
    Im reasonably slick with my AS3, and i even downloaded the SWF and converted it to a FLA to try and see how they did it, but i cant figure it out.

What I need is either an auto-updating textbox or a button that saves a bunch of variables, textbox text, movie clips(at whatever frame they are at) and gives the user something they can input to return to the 'exact' place that they saved it at, and then continue playing around with it.

Any ideas on how to save and load like this?

I can share my code if you like but its just tons of buttons

Anlyon

You may use SharedObject in flash. If you want it to be saved cross client, you may use for example php or asp.

Right on.
    I understand, for the most part how to use sharedObject to save data, but not how to call that data again, and then implement that data to my swf.

It'd be a total ballache, but i could make a big array with [profession][points][traits][weapon][abilities][otherItems] that gets written to a text box, and then a massive switch case array[profession] = 1-8 go to that profession page, etc etc on a button.

any more ideas out there?

We did something like that. Used sql, xml and asp. It didn't actually save the exact place they were in the game. It was closer to being once they reached a saved point. However they could go into different areas randomly so we had to keep track of every area individually. XML worked well for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Using SharedObject is a lot easier than you think. Just copy an example from google and begin experimenting with it. There is not rely a point in using an array unless your have lots of data and want to save some space for the client or if you want the client to be able to copy a code that may be loaded on another machine. But as said that by using SharedObject the data's are only stored on the users machine.
    Last edited by somlemeg; 07-13-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Hmm i think SharedObject wont work then. Ideally, the client should be able to share his or her build with any other person via the web.

Haha, kinda sucks, but at least i know i can make a giant array work. its just LOTS of code!
    Go go gadget spagetti code.

Thanks heaps for the replies!