A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Processor Questions

Processor Questions

I have some questions that The CL frequenters may be able to help me with as your guys are the geekiest geeks I know

Is software written core dependant ! I mean if I get a new Laptop with a quad core Intel i7 is it going to be a waste of my money if the programs I use are written for use with a dual core and backwards?

Not knowing much about processors I made this mistake in the past when Adobe software did not take advantage of my dual core processor machine until the next update as it was such new tech.

I want to go and get a new MacBook Pro next week and do not want to waste a few hundred smackers on a quad core machine if only 10% of my software is going to work on it, I would rather get the dual core model and spend the extra few hundred bucks on upgrading my iPad.

I thought I had better add what software I use;

Adobe Dreamweaver
    adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Illustrator
    Adobe Lightroom
    Apature
    Office for Mac
    Pages
    Keynote
    Beedocs Timeline 3D
    Hype
    Last edited by kevin_smithers; 06-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.

I know of some OS problems. Some programs don't run on lion well or not at all such as Premiere CS3 and Office for Mac 2004 version, which was my experience.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

In general, the issues should not have to do with Single vs Dual vs Quad, etc. core. The software either is optimized for multiple cores or it isn't. The experience wouldn't be a negative one - just not a more positive one if the application is optimized for more cores. What would be more concern is a 32 bit vs. 64 bit OS. Most software packages can accommodate both but some older packages cannot. Check with the individual manufacturers.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Cheers for your comments guys, they have been very helpful.

@cancerinform a friend of mine has problems with Photoshop CS3 on Lion, luckily I always upgrade when new versions are available and have not experienced any problems as yet (fingers crossed)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers View Post
    @cancerinform a friend of mine has problems with Photoshop CS3 on Lion, luckily I always upgrade when new versions are available and have not experienced any problems as yet (fingers crossed)
    Not Photoshop CS3 but Premiere Pro CS3. The Timeline becomes completely red and no clips can be seen. I moved to Apple now and bought Final cut pro x and Motion 5. Apple programs seem to be less expensive compared to Adobe and can do the same or better.

That's funny because almost every pro video person I follow have jumped the apple ship and are in love with Premiere CS6.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I never used Final cut pro before. I had, however, heard very good things about the former Final cut pro. Many reviews were written when the early version of FCP X came out. It is now version 5. I was simply pissed off that by just upgrading to lion I had to also upgrade to CS6, since Adobe had no fix. And for the upgrade price I could also get FCP X. I will see how it works. However, for my purposes it probably does not matter. May be I was also influenced by Motion 5, which I bought first and which is a great program.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 06-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.