dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opinions about best ultrabook specs for Flash

Opinions about best ultrabook specs for Flash

I'm trying to weight the relative importance of memory (4, 6, 8GB?), cpu (i3, i5) and graphics card (intel HD 3000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M) to find the best small notebook that will be used as general laptop but will also be used for Flash animation production work. I don't want to cheap out but i also don't want to spend more on stuff that won't buy me performance for the tasks at hand. Note, I have high end desktops for more intense editing and graphics heavy work. Here are 3 laptops that have gotten good reviews that i'm considering -- happy to hear other suggestions. And if I am silly to even consider ANY ultrabook to do Flash work, happy to hear those opinions, as well:

Toshiba Portege R835-P88 13.3" Notebook Computer
    2.5GHz Intel Core i5-2450M
    Cache L3: 3MB
    Memory Type: 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Installed: 6GB
    Capacity: 8GB
    Graphics Card Type: Integrated
    Installed: Intel Graphics System Mobile HD with up to 1696MB Shared

versus:

ASUS U36SD-DH51 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, 13.3" NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M

versus (step down to an i3)

ASUS U31SD-DH31 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i3-2330M 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, 13.3" NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M

thoughts?

Dude bought 2 of the ASUS i3's 4gb 15" last week... have just loaded all the CS5/5.5 series into it!.... they seem to be running all 3 at once (Dw,Fl,Fw) just fine!.. : )...

Of course you can never have enough ram for these guys.. 8gb would have been nice!...

Luck!
    Defy the boundaries!.. NEVER surrender to the code!!!.....

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/pr...n&s=bsd&~ck=mn

http://www.dell.com/in/business/p/xps-13-l321x/pd

This is not just fine. This is more than fine for all CS5.5x and other stuff too.

I suggest you to keep extra storage, a mouse and a keyboard to do your production work.

arkitx
    Last edited by arkitx; 04-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueakfilms View Post
    Re: best ultrabook specs
    I'm trying to weight the relative importance of memory (4, 6, 8GB?), cpu (i3, i5) and graphics card (intel HD 3000, NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M) to find the best small notebook that will be used as general laptop but will also be used for Flash animation production work. I don't want to cheap out but i also don't want to spend more on stuff that won't buy me performance for the tasks at hand. Note, I have high end desktops for more intense editing and graphics heavy work. Here are 3 laptops that have gotten good reviews that i'm considering -- happy to hear other suggestions.
    I would recommend getting an Asus Zenbook Prime U31A. It's currently the premium ultrabook I know, of course at a premium price...