A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Did you know.....?

Did you know.....?

... about this white paper from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...s/roadmap.html) ? Adobe plans to make significant changes/improvements of AS3, which are not as dramatic as AS2 to AS3 but significant. Check 'ActionScript "Next"' section. There is also other important information about Flash and its use in browsers, as air etc. Flash will be mainly used for gaming and video and browser support will be less.

It looks to me that Flash is not at all dead! I think Adobe has recognized improving AS at this stage may make Flash much more competitive as it already is. From the past criticism I guess it probably means improving 3D capabilities and may be using less memory so Flash can run better on mobile. Browser support seems to more and more diminish but air support not.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 09-07-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Well they (adobe) killed the flash player for the latest incarnation of android. It would be a hard pitch this late in the game to preach 3d gaming.

On the other hand the new Flash CS6 now allows to package the AIR installer in the application for android for example. You don't need to download AIR any more on your device. Adobe clearly goes away from browser support for flash but enhances AIR support.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Anyone remember this game?

I think this sais alot about where things are trending.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, i dont

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform View Post
    ... about this white paper from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...s/roadmap.html) ? Adobe plans to make significant changes/improvements of AS3, which are not as dramatic as AS2 to AS3 but significant. Check 'ActionScript "Next"' section. There is also other important information about Flash and its use in browsers, as air etc. Flash will be mainly used for gaming and video and browser support will be less.

It looks to me that Flash is not at all dead! I think Adobe has recognized improving AS at this stage may make Flash much more competitive as it already is. From the past criticism I guess it probably means improving 3D capabilities and may be using less memory so Flash can run better on mobile. Browser support seems to more and more diminish but air support not.
    I believe that the depressed economy is hurting flash. The space that it competes well in has had budgets cut in favor of more traditional marketing work.

I can't say that I have much confidence in Adobe's handling of Flash after the whole Steve Jobs debacle. But, hopefully, they keep it alive enough that it has a chance to rebound if/when more aggressive marketing budgets come back.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf