A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Stuff

New Stuff

In another veiled attempt to bring back the lounge.

What cool new toys have you gotten recently?

I've recently ordered a korg pandora mini.
    Yeah I know it's not the big brand line6 pod or vst's but I'm trying to spend more time away from the computer.

Anyway here it is.

I expect delivery by friday

I bought my first cell phone: prepaid :-)
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I don't know if you should get an austerity award for that or not. I'm not glued to mine but I need it. Still my prepay package is cheap.

My 3 last big items I bought myself were a Samsung Galaxy S3, Canon 85 1.8 lens, and a portable power pack for my studio strobes to bring on location.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Sweet, reads like life's been good.

Not stuff, Just a project.
    After compiling this - http://www.tappermike.com/?q=node/32

( I ran out of sources otherwise I'd of listed more)

I'm doing the same thing (sorta) for guitar rigs. Now that everyone and there brother (including me) has amp sims.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Frets, what do you think of that Korg Pandora mini you were getting. It looks really good for the price. Would you recommend it to be used at open mics for my acoustic? Used sparsely, maybe a bit of chorus or similar. I can see it's not a foot pedal but plugged into the line out to the sound desk and put on a chair I suppose you'd just hit the programme you need.
    They're about £70 over here in the UK, which is around what you'd pay for a good chorus pedal so my guitar playing chum and I are considering getting one, thought I'd ask your opinion first.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

Sorry for the long wait.

It's great. I love the presets especially the cleaner and rock ones.
    If you are not using on the amp simulators then you miss a big part of the experience. But you can turn them off if you don't need them. Having a Marshall emulation amp simulator and then feeding it to a marshall is overkill. Trying to get a marshall to sound like a vox with the amp sim won't work.
    It's best used on the return (if your amp has sends and returns) or sent directly to a mixer board or "keyboard amp" or headphones or computer.

That being said. It takes a lot of figiting around with the controls to fine tune a patch preset. Best to use the computer app to setup the preset then to monkey around with the controls manually.

I love this thing. It can run up to 7 effects at a time. I don't know if you've noticed a lot of "modern" spring and plate reverbs have a klang/ping finish to them. While older ones have a warmer more natural reverb sound. The plate and the spring reverb are perfect it's a soft and round sounding reverb.

The chorus is bright but not brittle. It seemed to have a slight boost in the lower mid frequencies but it didn't get muddy. I played it with a piezo pickup on a solid body and it really sounded great pristine. Stairway to heaven never sounded better on that guitar. I hate to say this. I've got a roland Jazz Chorus amp and the chorus on the pandora put it to shame. Although it didn't have all the editing qualities of a tc electronics chorus. But I wasn't digging too far into the programming when I tried it.

Flanger was a little soft to my ears. It has several phase shifters. There is one preset that would do Robin Trower proud. Though the preset "Bridge" refers to under the bridge by the red hot chili peppers not Bridge of Sighs

The presets are pretty damn amazing. But I'd have a hard time bringing myself to use it live.
    There are four "instant access" buttons to call up your favorite presets. Everything else you need to scroll to in order to find them. When I was in a rock/blues band I'd play ....well everything rock and blues. I had a floorboard that I could get to every preset for every song I played. With only having four presets to pull up blindly on demand it doesn't make for a good stage performance when you are constantly trying to find the preset you need to do the next song.

That being said I love it. I've been playing with it everyday since I got it. I love the vox tones for beatles/stones/small faces. And I really really love the fender tones Those I can use for an hour or two and not get bored. They work well for Wes Montgomery stuff. Two other presets worth mentioning are "Badge" and "Layla" Eric Clapton sounds. Layla is based on the electric version not his acoustic remake. The only disappointment I've had so far is "Message" maybe it's because I don't have a tele it comes close but it just doesn't sound like "Message in a bottle" by the police.

Have this thing for very long and you might want to go shopping for a solid body guitar. I know you are on a budget and trying to find a thin and wide neck electric at an affordable price can be hard.

Look around for parker "P" series used. The "P" designates made in Korea (as opposed to those in the states)
    I've got a p44

This guy appears to be in the over 6ft height range so much closer to your height then to mine.

They are excellent guitars but they didn't sell well. The American versions which cost outrageous amounts of money sell like mad.

I picked mine up for $600 new I've seen them used in great condition for 200US so that would be about 124 in your money.

The scale length is longer then a regular acoustic or electric guitar and the neck is "conical" it starts narrow and thin but because it's longer it's easier for taller guys like you to stretch your fingers in the first few frets. As you move up the neck it gets wider and slightly thicker though highly playable. Honestly I've got a Les Paul and a Stratocaster. It shames them both and is lighter while still feeling very solid. It will outlive me.

Grandfather to the stars bigginge's Avatar
    Thanks a lot for that in depth review, much appreciated. I've been playing without effects for, well, more years than I care to mention, but the guy who I play with has always had a sneaky lusting after pedals. I'll let him get one and see how it goes, but basically I see how it's not really meant for our turn-up-and-play open mic nights. Marvellous bit of kit though, especially for the price.
    Thanks again.
    To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Love Light Romania Romania Blog

I went that way too for about 10 years. I didn't run any effects during the 70's and then from the mid 80's till the mid 90's I'd use them. To be honest I really just liked plugging an electric guitar into an amp and playing it clean. II tried some newer effects stuff around 2000 but I really hated it. I couldn't carve any great sounds out of it and all I would do is try to dial in something useful. Thankfully Korg thinks about it's customer base. Who's buying it and what they will be using it for. I swear I'm playing songs now that I haven't touched since the 70's and it's fun.

I'm sure you'll be able to find more then one useful preset that will work well for you.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    As much as I've always wanted to be musically inclined and play guitar, just never put the time in, but I certainly appreciate the musically gifted...
    Only thing I've bought recently was some new toys, an 11m kite to add to my quiver, a new jumpsuit and another GoPro.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Jump suit?

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    Jump suit?
    for skydiving...

That's pretty wild tech to play along with...never thought about the need for that, having never played...How's the mixer/editor software?
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

I actually prefer somewhat "Old School" Recording. Even though I've got the big name software for recording editing.

This is my... mixing console and harddisk recorder

I've had it for several years now. It isn't as feature rich as you newer "DAW" software. But it works the way I think when I record. I'd rather play something right all the way through then fumble around and try to save it all in the editing process. I find that when I'm watching a large computer screen with a lot of lights whistles an bells it distracts rather then enhances my performance.

If I'm playing on my ztar
    gallery_8508_169_123915.jpg

Yep that's mine.... I used to have a "workstation" for the sounds but spilled coffee on it a few years back and it didn't survive. I will use a "host" and run softsynths on my computer. It's been the most challenging and rewarding instrument I've ever played. Everyday I re invent myself on it.

is not that jump suit very expensive in the end, I mean you have to pay for all the training before it becomes something other than suicide tool
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Thanks a lot for that in depth review, much appreciated. I've been playing without effects for, well, more years than I care to mention, but the guy who I play with has always had a sneaky lusting after pedals. I'll let him get one and see how it goes, but basically I see how it's not really meant for our turn-up-and-play open mic nights.