A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IE9/flash player 10.3 deleting Shared Objects

IE9/flash player 10.3 deleting Shared Objects

Uncool.. very uncool.

You mean to tell me my flash application that uses SharedObjects, that are quite an important core of my app, and that all my users data can be wiped out in an instant if they delete cookies and dont know it will also basically throw all their work in the trash along with it?!!

Please tell me there's a workaround or I will have to strangle somebody, starting with Adobe!

Hi,

As far as I am aware you can not prevent somebody from deleting the shared object, the browser does not do it automatically, but many people manually clear their traces, many registry cleaners do the job for you, some with default cleaning prefs, some people prevent flash from storing data in the first place with flash settings, you can not stop it.
    Fortunately for you, a lot of people do not wipe their history etc ect for quite a long time, or even know about shared object.

You could look into using a server side language (php/asp) and databases, or save text files per user at the time of using the app.

Maybe someone knows of a way?

I do use SO sometime, but thats merely for browsing a website and the data is not all that important, so if they delete it, they get the default settings next time they visit thats all.

Yes, but it's not fortunate for me they don't know about SharedObject.

For one, 'clear cookies' will delete cookies along with ALL Shared Objects, without the user even knowing. So if one day the user just decides to clear their browser cookies, their data from their application gets wiped, whether they want it to or not. There isn't even settings in flash player that gives the option for Shared Objects to be deleted or not.

So what do I have to do, tell my customers, "Oh, by the way, NEVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT DELETE YOUR BROWSER COOKIES!!!!"

As a user, I would feel like, oh, so I can never delete my browser cookies, that sucks because I like deleting my cookies from my browser once in awhile, but I dont want all my hard work wiped out in my application that has nothing to do with "browser cookies"!!!

Hi,

Well it seems you are going to need to learn some server side language after all and not rely on flash shared object.