A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question about SharedObjects

Question about SharedObjects

Hello, I have a question regarding SharedObjects. I set up a project that I am having some data saved in a custom folder, like:

my_so = SharedObject.getLocal("aFolderForMe/soFileName","/");

I dont remember if thats exactly how I had it, but anyways, it works, as in it saves to a folder that it creates for itself in the sharedobject folder. The problem I am asking about is, I am trying it on a different computer and it is saving SO that you create like normal, but not creating the custom path ones.

The only different thing about the computers that I can see is that, on the one that it's not saving the custom path, I am not running under Administrator. Do you need to be running under Administrator for it to save the folder? I dont see why, it saves regular SO's, just not the custom path ones.

Thanks!

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    I don't think it has something to do with the administrator thing, because the folder where the shared object is stored, is public, (app data, Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects) and you say that the normal SO is being stored, so no way it can be. The problem is the path thing. I have never worked with shared objects paths so i think i can not help you. Are both computers same Operating System?
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Hi,

This page has quite an indepth explanantion and source code about sharedobject and path,

toward the bottom of the page under "Advanced subjects"

http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/flas...ect/index.html

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    Wow fruitbeard, thanks for that site!

Now I will try something i came up with. Creating 2 swfs to share the same shared object, so if I DO something in the swfA, it also happens in the swfB. Cheers
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker, "Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour late as a r esult." http://www.mmomesos.com/mesos/Maple-Story-NX-US.html

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain's voice again, "Guess what, folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only one. We will now arrive in London three hours late."

At this point, one passenger became furious. "For Pete's sake," he shouted, "If we lose another engine, we'll be up here all night!" http://www.mmohome.com