A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] AS2 button scope help needed MC inside MC

resolved [RESOLVED] AS2 button scope help needed MC inside MC

I have a Movieclip on the main timeline called "map_mc" as you might guess inside this movieclip is a map of the US and each state is a button.
    Also in "map_mc" is a movieclip called "A_fg_allstates" with 50 labeled frames one for each state ie. MD, MO, OH, IL, CA etc.

When you click on the state or button on the map in "map_mc" I need to advance to a labeled frame in "A_fg_allstates" such as Texas Ohio, Ilinois, Maryland etc.

I cannot seem to get the scope right, can anyone help?

Here is the code I have on the button now:
    Code:
    on (release) {
    	_root.gotoAndPlay(3);
    	_root.state_no=18;
    	A_fg_allstates.gotoAndStop("Texas");
    Last edited by ADVaughn; 11-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Hi,

sounds like it might get a little confusing with all those letters, perhaps if you attach the fla here.

wow would love to but the file is way too big, I could email or maybe try to streamline the file so I can post the part I need help with, Thanks Fruitbeard
    Last edited by ADVaughn; 11-29-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Sure, do the streamline thing.

I messaged you if you wish to mail it instead.
    Last edited by fruitbeard; 11-29-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndPlay(3);
    _root.state_no=18;
    _root.A_fg_allstates.gotoAndStop("Texas");
    }
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Hi,

By all accounts your code(original code) works with my mock up fla, perhaps you have incorrectly named something??

I am trying to get this FLA down to an acceptable size for the forum, checked the name and no typos there. I will post a little later as soon as I can get it down in size, Thanks Fruitbeard

I attached a zip file. FLA CS4 and XML. I had to strip down the FLA a lot to get it small enough to upload here, so it will seem incomplete when you compile and run. That being said; There is one MC on the main timeline called map_mc inside it are

1) 5 labeled keyframes for 5 different map views (not all are in this copy)

2) 1 unique MC on each key frame (blue bar with text not all present)

If you can get the "TEXAS button "Texas_FG" in "map_mc" on frame one to advance "MC A_fg_allstates" to keyframe labeled "Texas" that would solve all my problems. I have tried _root, _parent, nothing seems to work.

I know there are easy ways to fix by breaking up MC structure but that is not an option.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You have to go inside your map_mc movieclip and put instance name A_fg_allstates in the last movieclip (the one that holds the states names)

Then on each button put this line in the onRelease : A_fg_allstates.gotoAndStop("Texas"); Where you change Texas for the name of each state. This works to me with your fla. Let me know
    Last edited by angelhdz; 11-29-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Kettle Fry My Chips I swear I checked the instance name or not. Thanks buddy sometime you look at this stuff so long the little things slip by you.

Thanks again

Hehe, no problem.