A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to make a point and click game in Flash 8?

Unhappy How to make a point and click game in Flash 8?

HI! So I'm trying to make a point and click game, but I'm having alot of difficulty. At first I tried to follow this tutorial:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXz8IZEyM4
    But I'm having trouble. So could someone explain it a little better please?
    Also in my game the player has to click an object in order for another object to appear.
    For example: If Bob clicks the dollar, goes to the bank, and clicks on the piggybank, a penny will appear on the screen.
    Any ideas of how this can be coded?

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    It's easy. What have you done so far? Do you want me to make you a .fla so you can learn from it or use it, or do you want i try to explain how to make it step by step?
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Here you have a tutorial i made for you.
    You have only to create the movieclips and name them with instance names: door, key, pipe and the dynamic textbox statusTxt

And create 3 frames, one for each level, and put a stop(); on each one.

The door has a stop(); on its first frame, and then a stop(); on the last frame of the opening animation. The animation starts at frame 2.
    http://sofistica2.zzl.org/escapetutorial.html
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

oh thank you! I do have a question though, do I place all the codes in the frames of my movieclip? or would I place the coding in my movie clip or.....
    aish

The script on the Level 1 place it on frame 1, the script on Level 2, place it on the frame 2, and so on. All in the main/root timeline. Isn't a good practice to put script on movieclips.

ok I think I understand, would I have to declare any variables? also would I just delete the text coding in the code since I don't want text to appear on release?

The only variable I made was var opened=false; and it's declared on each frame.

For the text thing, just put this on your onRelease code: statusTxt.text =""; And when you release the buttons, the dynamic textbox named statusTxt will be empty.

alright, i ran into a problem with the first code: After I get the key and click on the door, I cant go to level 2. Also what if my door doesnt have an animation? would I change the code?

What version of flash do you have? So i can upload my .fla and you can play with it?

I have Flash 8, as2

http://www.mediafire.com/?rt4v97an5z9twn9

If you need more help let me know.

Client Software Programmer AS3.0's Avatar
    lol I like looking through peoples FLAs and seeing how they code, I code way differently. :P

LOL. I code depending on my mood. If i'm down, i code with a mess , in no order, and very complex. If i'm happy and motivated, i organize my scripts, variables, etc, and optimize the script with the less code as possible. Regards Basses! I will post an updated version of this tutorial game in a few minutes