A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Eternal Bubbles is out now on Android!

Red face Eternal Bubbles is out now on Android!

Get it now for free =)
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/de...eternalBubbles
    If you like it please share and let your friends know =)

Made by Hasufel, Marmotte and me =)

New version of Eternal Bubbles is up ( http://goo.gl/JMF0V ), i fixed the special rainbow bubble and added nicer bubble burst animations =)
    Btw since some asked me via pm:
    -The 2D side is done using flash/scaleform since i worked on bringing this game to mobile in unity to try some things i hadn't done in unity before like using scaleform with it and doing micro transaction stuff in a game deployed to google play.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 12-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.

So Tom, you've made that horse game, and then came back to 2d
    Would you say that 3d doesn't worth?

This new forum sux btw

Hello there, long time no see, hope you're well =)
    Regarding the changed forum look: Yeah, didn't like that at all initially either, maybe i'll get more used to it with time =)
    Regarding 2D/ 3D stuff: Yeah, i worked on a bunch of 3D stuff for a while, now again in between on some 2D stuff, i just like to try different things, technologies etc so always exploring =)
    I like all sorts of art styles, hand drawn, pixel art, vector etc in 2D and various things in 3D, but each has different advantages and disadvantages. I like doing prerendered and realtime 3D stuff, too but it can be more time and money intensive to do something on high end level like big budget console/pc games going for 3D, whereas when in comparison going for let's say a pixel art 2D look a single very skilled artist like motto, daydream or luxregina for example can create excellent art which carries a whole game all alone.
    I also like different things in 2D more than in 3D, like for example i love the cartoon pixel art characters in eternal bubbles with their expressive cute face expressions and animations.
    In short: 2D and 3D have quite different pros and cons, i like lots of 2D and 3D things a lot and choose per project what makes more sense =)
    Funnily i'm just working on a "2.5 D" game right now =)

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Hey tom, good work. Is this an older game you guys made that you recently ported?

I tried it on my wife's HTC One phone and it didn't work. It got stuck on the Stimunation logo, with the logo flickering. The music started playing after a while which makes me believe it was working but the screen wasn't updating for some reason. I just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 and it worked flawlessly.

How do you like working with Scaleform in Unity? Benefits? Disadvantages? Been considering checking out the demo for it but at this point I'd rather learn the "correct way" of doing things in Unity.

Bummer regarding the HTC. Yeah, that's one of the slight downsides with Android, so many hardware/ driver differences then making some stuff not work on some devices despite it should. I'll look into it =)
    I'm glad it works well on your other device =) (also works fine on my galaxy tab 10.1, transformer prime, kindle fire and all other Android test devices i have here )
    Regarding the game itself: Yeah, Hasufel, Motto and me worked on that ages ago (around 2004 or 2005 i think =) ).
    Hasufel had worked on a Puzzle Bobble port before and then we teamed up to make that version and well, after all those years i just thought it would be a good candidate to try out flash/scaleform stuff in unity and deploying that to mobile devices =)

regarding Scaleform in Unity? Benefits? Disadvantages?
    Unity and Flash are like bizarro world versions of each other, for many things where one shines the other is weak and the other way round. So while one can totally make 2D games in unity (and i've made a few of those with it next to some 3d ones, too) it is very focussed on making 3d games, all editor tools it comes with (if one ignored guitexture and guitext since those are very limited) are made for that. One can get packages from the unity asset store which are handy for making 2D stuff, one can make own tools and frameworks for making 2D stuff and yeah, the unity fellas are working on nice 2D toolset additions and improvements, too, but really, when making a 2D game that's still way easier and quicker to do with flash right now.

Now some of the bummer sides with flash are that it doesn't have any good tools for making 3D stuff or combining 2D and 3D stuff that nicely and yeah, also flash deployed to mobile devices sucks in performance.
    One can get stuff done and perform, but it is nowhere near comparable in performance to many other options out there.
    Also one can't deploy AS1/2 stuff to mobile using the flash air deploy way either.

So now there regarding all such downsides Scaleform comes into play.
    It can run flash content in accelerated way so that in many cases it performs a lot better than in Adobe's flash player (as usual shame on you bigtime Adobe for not getting something like that going). It allows to deploy AS1,2 and 3 stuff as app to iOS/Android. It allows to use the flash content display either on its own or in combination with other 3d view stuff in unity (by using it as rendertexture).

And yeah, there are many plugins and packages for unity allowing to easily use many of the features of the mobile devices easily so since scaleform in unity allows the flash (movie) and the unity content sides to communicate, trigger methods, pass params etc between each other one can that way use the strengths of the flash and unity sides together.

Now all that sounds great, sadly it isn't perfect yet by any means. The deploy to iPhone with it is way more cumbersome right now than the deploy to android since for the deploy to iPhone one has to manually edit the xcode project by hand afterwards.
    It also has some bugs related to not running some bitmapdata stuff and other things fine then in scaleform unity.
    (That's a pretty big bummer since of course usually one does a lot of bitmapdata stuff in many flash games).

The scaleform guys are working on these issues though so it has potential and could get closer to reaching that potential soon.

Where i see it as good candidate right now is if one has an existing flash game and wants to release that on mobile (and that is a game that runs with it since as i said there are still some api features of flash not supported/ buggily supported right now so one has to try it per game). It can also be useful to add an intro or menu to unity games or use other flash features in a unity game.

When making a new game in unity from the ground up though i'd probably not use it since it requires per deploy platform licenses, doesn't support all platforms unity supports and besides that i just prefer working in one ide/ engine to make a game rather than having that much forth and back between two middleware packages like that.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 01-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Awesome tom, thanks for the response.

I'm actually interested in Scaleform supporting AS1/2 stuff because I have a couple old games I'd like to port to mobile for the hell of it, but I'm not sure if the cost of the license is gonna be worth it though. I'll probably check out the demo when I have time.

I've been heavy into Unity these days. I've been trying to workout a decent 2d pipeline for Unity, still trying to avoid having to do 3d assets as much as possible!

I wrote a bit of a making-of/tutorial post about how I handled the sprite animation for my Unity port of my Flash game Donut Get! ( http://blog.sokay.net/2012/11/05/2d-...tion-in-unity/ ). This was exporting the raw animations out of Flash using spritesheets, super wasteful but I was aiming to do it as quick and dirty as possible and see if it would even end up working. Turned out it was "good enough!" But if I ever dreamed of doing something with multiple characters, I'd have to be smarter about it.

Searching for solutions I found out about a tool the Japanese social game company GREE released called LWF. It exports Flash animations into a format readable by their Unity plugin. And it's open source too.
    ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158...nity-and-HTML5 )

From what I can tell, it'll run through the different movieclips on the stage and export each one as an image and save the timing information in a text file. The assets need to be setup in a particular way and I don't believe there's anyway to use keyframe labels or timeline scripting ( but don't quote me on that!)

This is straight from Japanese programmers so it may be hard to figure out how it works. Fortunately they eventually released a Youtube tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7awPpMplIk

I'm planning to do some demos with LWF and see if it allows me to make easier use of Flash animation within Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    Awesome tom, thanks for the response.
    you're welcome =)

I'm actually interested in Scaleform supporting AS1/2 stuff because I have a couple old games I'd like to port to mobile for the hell of it, but I'm not sure if the cost of the license is gonna be worth it though. I'll probably check out the demo when I have time.
    Yeah, that's a good way to go about it. The mobile app stores are so crowded by now that unless going with publisher/big marketing push even with a good game it is not guaranteed one will make a decent return on it, so it is a good idea to evaluate what's a good fit and how much is reasonable to spend on it upfront.
    I'm considering bringing some more stuff over myself but yeah, not doing it for each and every flash AS1 / 2 / 3 game i ever worked on.

I've been heavy into Unity these days. I've been trying to workout a decent 2d pipeline for Unity, still trying to avoid having to do 3d assets as much as possible!
    I wrote a bit of a making-of/tutorial post about how I handled the sprite animation for my Unity port of my Flash game Donut Get! ( http://blog.sokay.net/2012/11/05/2d-...tion-in-unity/ ). This was exporting the raw animations out of Flash using spritesheets, super wasteful but I was aiming to do it as quick and dirty as possible and see if it would even end up working. Turned out it was "good enough!" But if I ever dreamed of doing something with multiple characters, I'd have to be smarter about it.
    Yeah, as soon as one goes for all 3d assets, especially for a more realistic look that can become more time and cost intensive quickly (next to downsides of needing lots of optimisation work etc in many cases since the mobile devices are like 5-8 years behind console tech in graphics capabilities on a few ends (while going for pushing much higher resolutions in many cases ))
    Cool you're doing more in unity and yeah, nice regarding your blog post and yup, pretty much what i went through regarding the 2D side with unity, too, started out with making a quick and hacky solution, tried various packages/solutions out there, refined own workflow etc, its a bit of an improve as you go thing which i guess will go on until there's a more ideal builtin pipeline which gets at least most requirements right out of the box =)

Searching for solutions I found out about a tool the Japanese social game company GREE released called LWF. It exports Flash animations into a format readable by their Unity plugin. And it's open source too.
    ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158...nity-and-HTML5 )

From what I can tell, it'll run through the different movieclips on the stage and export each one as an image and save the timing information in a text file. The assets need to be setup in a particular way and I don't believe there's anyway to use keyframe labels or timeline scripting ( but don't quote me on that!)

This is straight from Japanese programmers so it may be hard to figure out how it works. Fortunately they eventually released a Youtube tutorial video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7awPpMplIk

I'm planning to do some demos with LWF and see if it allows me to make easier use of Flash animation within Unity.

Cool, that looks nice, i'll have a look =) I tried a few of the others like uniswf, not that one yet though, thanks for sharing =)
    Last edited by tomsamson; 01-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.

According to my view, Eternal Bubbles is a fast mind bending bubble puzzle action at its best. My friend said about the latest version of it. What are the best features are we expects in up-coming versions? Please produce the details about its latest price.