A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Lightbox in Flash

Lightbox in Flash

Hey, so I'm in the process of making a flash site. I intend to make a lightbox when you click on a link. It should gray out the background and make it unclickable. I found this (though it's for HTML, not for Flash) http://blog.codefidelity.com/?p=18 (check the example). It's sort of what I had in mind, just except it shouldn't just be able to play a film in the lightbox, but have clickable stuff (don't know exactly what yet, but stuff like menus, buttons, text and so on).
    I'm fairly new to Flash, so I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction or guide me through it. Or if someone could find me something somewhere on net, since I'm in a bit of a rush.
    Last edited by Fayze; 12-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.

You can create your own Light box by drawing a black rectangle the same size as the stage (lower the opacity to 50%)and converting it to a movie clip and give it an instance name "shadow_mc".

Use code to turn the visibility on and off.
    shadow_mc.visible = true;
    or
    shadow_mc.visible = false;

When do you want the light box effect to take place? Is this going to be a gallery? or a single item that opens on top of your stage? As far as I know, there is not a showbox plug in for flash.

Well an example would be a button that says "About us". You click it and a lightbox opens that has text (or perhaps an image with text?). I also want to give it a nice animation by making it expand from the middle and graying out the rest of the screen. I've spent a lot of time searching for an example of this done in Flash and have found nothing. I'm in a bit of a rush, so if I find can't find something good soon, I might have to settle on something else.