A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] CS5 AS2 Flash Game Help!

resolved [RESOLVED] CS5 AS2 Flash Game Help!

Hi, i'm making a flash game for school and I am almost done, however I have two problems with it. The first is that I have trouble adding score. I used the dynamic text box with var name counter and put counter++; where the enemy dies, and put counter=0 but it doesnt work. The second problem is that after I the player dies and it goes to the game over frame, the enemies still remain on the screen until the leave it. Can anybody help, I would most appreciate it. If you would want me to upload the fla. then I will.

Without looking at the file, I am guessing that your variable is being updated, but your textbox is not. Everytime the counter variable is updated, you will also need to update the dynamic text box. You could do this with an Enter_Frame function or inside of the function where you are updating your counter variable.

As far as the enemies, I need to know how they are being added, and if you are assigning them consistant names. When the the "game over" happens you will just need to tell each enemy to turn their ._visibile = false or ._alpha = 0.

I have one enemy a symbol, than I have a spawner to duplicate the enemies.

I could upload the file and show you if you would like to.

Sure, upload your file, and I will take a look at it.

sorry I couldn't upload it to the forum. the file size was too big. But here is a link to download it.

http://www.2shared.com/file/m0cQtpF0/try3.html

Okay, so I solved the aliens not disappearing after game over by restarting or loading back to the same swf. I still can't figure out score.

I looked at your file:
    1) you must give your dynamic textbox an instance name "theScore".
    2) Then delete _root.counter from the variable box in the options
    3) create a var counter=0; in the actions layer of your main timeline on frame1
    4) On the spaceship MC<player>, in the onClipEvent (enterFrame) you will need to put this code:

_root.theScore.text=_root.counter;

this will make your score box work correctly.

For some reason, the text box isn't even appearing. When I opened the program on a different computer with CS4, the text box appeared. Could it be CS5? Or should I just try that on another computer.

Also, when I run the swf. in the output tab it says "Fonts should be embedded for any text that may be edited at runtime, other than text with the "Use Device Fonts" setting. Use the Text > Font Embedding command to embed fonts." does that have anything to do with it?
    Last edited by khard; 01-10-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkell View Post
    I looked at your file:

4) On the spaceship MC<player>, in the onClipEvent (enterFrame) you will need to put this code:

_root.theScore.text=_root.counter;
    is there any specific place that i put this?

Quote Originally Posted by khard View Post
    For some reason, the text box isn't even appearing. When I opened the program on a different computer with CS4, the text box appeared. Could it be CS5? Or should I just try that on another computer.

Also, when I run the swf. in the output tab it says "Fonts should be embedded for any text that may be edited at runtime, other than text with the "Use Device Fonts" setting. Use the Text > Font Embedding command to embed fonts." does that have anything to do with it?
    Some fonts appear and some fonts don't. And the solution you sent me still isn't working Do you think you could send me the file with the fixes. I can PM you my email.

Sure, PM me your email... You may just need to Embed the font for your dynamic text box. I believe you are using impact, so you will need to embed the font in the properties window.

okay i pmed you my email