A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rotating Linkable Globe

Rotating Linkable Globe

Hello everyone.

There are many flash rotating globes on the web, and I wanted to possibly implement one into our website which we are overhauling at the moment.

Many of the globes, however, just rotate and nothing else, but I was looking for something more usable. Take a look @ www.nikon.com. See the globe they have, where it spins in accordance with the links to each continent? Something like that would be ideal, but instead of just continent locations, they'd be linking to our Special Reports vis-a-vis the subject matter's location. For example. if the Special Report was a report about a South African Platinum Mine, then there would be a small caption/link next to the globe, etc...

Since I have absolutely no working or theoretical knowledge of anything Flash-related, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, we are a subscription-based, Gold and Silver precious metals financial newsletter, running off Wordpress.

Thanks again.

I once made the globe component (source, demo) which is pretty good globe component It is well documented, so maybe give it a try.

edit:
    no working or theoretical knowledge of anything Flash-related
    well, this could be a problem.
    Last edited by realMakc; 02-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

I guess I have some theoretical knowledge. I am fast learner too

Thanks for the response. I'll check out the demo and everything.

Also, what I really like about the www.nikon.com globe is the mouseover function -that when you have your pointer over the caption, it triggers the flash to spin the globe to that location.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

my component has methods to add markers and to rotate to specified position, so it's doable. but then, you need to work on your theoretical flash knowledge to connect the dots.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2